Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What Autopilot for PA28 Arrow III when upgrading

Snoopy wrote:

The Aspen will still show everything from the Nav Sources.

Yea, but personally I’d not be happy if it is not possible to use it’s features like the HDG bug and Altitude preset with the AP. So if at all, I’d move to a system where everything is integrated properly.

So it does appear that the only way to integrate an Aspen with autopilots may indeed be the Genesys/STEC 55x where the Avidyne option does not exist. That is a real bummer but shows why those systems are still for sale and in demand. It is also very disappointing that the 3100 system is not at all approved for any PA28, while there are STC’s for PA24 and other models… The same goes for the DFC90, which has a very limited STC list.

This puts anyone who wishes to add autopilot capability to an airplane with Aspens into the situation that either they have to live with an outdated AP system or to get rid of the Aspens in favor of a complete Garmin setup. Seeing the STC lists for those APs, the only real alternative is to go Garmin 500 with G5’s.

I’m afraid that this will make the 55x a still quite viable solution for such planes, as replacing the whole setup with G5’s (which are inferior to the Aspen) and so on will most probably also be massively more expensive in installation cost. To run a G5 next to an Aspen as the AP “Server” and not being able to use the PFD integration would be a no-go for me.

I also note that the S-tec legacy systems, in particular the PSS 60 and the 30 Alt are no longer available. That is REALLY bad news for anyone who wants to add altitude hold capacity to an existing single axis AP.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 07 Apr 09:27
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Found this via Google

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ahh. Ok. Even though I do not understand if this means that the Aspen can feed any information to the AP or not, such as HDG Bug. Altitude obviously not.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 07 Apr 13:09

It’s a shame that Aspen don’t work with more autopilots…
Pretty sure that Garmin did make the G500 non Aspen compatible so buyers will stay on the Garmin route.
Aspen should find a way to get support for G500 then they have a winner.

So if you have an PA28 with Aspen you don’t have many options to upgrade your old autopilot.

S-TEC 55X is not cheap, and for that kind of money you can get 2x G5 + G500 Autopilot and removing your Aspen.
I got a quote with installation S-Tec 55X + 360 for 30K + VAT
Also got a quote for 2x GI 275 + G500 autopilot + GMA 430 audio panel for 38k + vat (installed)

You could also get G3X + G5 + G500.

If you can get Aspen + 1x G5 + G500 work where you can use heading bug on Aspen then it could be a good choice.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

@Darkfixer, just a note, the autopilot is called GFC500 and not G500. Thats something else :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Darkfixer wrote:

If you can get Aspen + 1x G5 + G500 work where you can use heading bug on Aspen then it could be a good choice.

That is the big question which the article quoted earlier does not answer. I suppose a good Avionic shop should know this.

I’m not really sure if this configuration with one G5 and GFC500 is legal. STC permit for that?
Normally second G5 is used as backup?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Snoopy wrote:

Found this via Google

Where did you find that info?

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

It was one of the top google results for Aspen + GFC500 and led to Beechtalk forum.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is a S-Tec 55X that bad with today’s standards?
Or just not worth it’s money?

ESMS, ESML, Sweden
Sign in to add your message