Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G meter - anybody has one?

We got a G-meter in the four place Yak 18 T as it is certified for +6.5 / -3.5 G – . It is the indicator in left panel, second from left at top . One white hand for actual load, two red hands for showing max. load limits plus-minus that you reset any time with the knob at right side. Aerobatics permitted only with two places used as there are four point belts on front seats only. Vic

vic
EDME

I am looking at using the phone for G measurement. I found this app for android.

Has anyone else got experience with using a phone?

Just installed this on my S23

and it seems to work well (these are not my landings, honest)

One has to select the highest recording speed to have any chance of capturing the sort of transients during a landing IMHO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The app is quite difficult to get data from.

I did a fairly firm landing but really nothing “hard” and got this

which shows a spike about 0.8g over the 1g baseline. Would you call that 1.8g or 0.8g?

It does correctly record a 60 degree level turn as 2G

It is obvious that to get decent data from this thing you need to carefully choose the filter characteristics. In say a car phone holder there is a huge amount of noise – about 0.5G peak to peak – and it is basically useless.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

which shows a spike about 0.8g over the 1g baseline. Would you call that 1.8g or 0.8g?

1.8g

ELLX

Do the panel mount G meters capture just a peak for the whole flight or do they indicate the instantaneous G?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Do the panel mount G meters capture just a peak for the whole flight or do they indicate the instantaneous G?

Guess what? It depends on the model… and there a quite a few of those.
The one I have (AV-20S) only gives a warning when approaching the preset level, though peaks can be read too.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@sebastian_g g load and generally logging and exporting would be a nice feature for the ADL.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

The mechanical ones typically have a needle that shows instantaneous and another needle (actually two) that shows minimum and maximum reached (and there’s a reset button).

Andreas IOM

At least some of the Insight GEM engine monitors (G3, G4) do things like engine vibration, take-off g-force and two-axis turbulence which includes g-forces at landing.
For details see: Operating Instructions for GEM G1..G4

Not sure if the Landing Height System from Microkit measures g-loads…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Looking at the data I am capturing with the phone app, I think people must be doing some clever filtering to end up with something meaningful – because there is a lot of noise just with the phone lying on your kneeboard, and it differs from the phone being say on your leg. But on any “flexible” surface (like a leg) it bounces around, especially on landing, so I think any G measurement must use an airframe-fixed sensor, and then appropriately filter the data.

Administrator
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message