Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is wrong with the old autopilots?

Peter wrote:

Both but especially the former.

It boils down to the paperwork. I don’t have any concerns with “old” parts, but to get this to a level where one person can sign that off is not easy. In the S-TEC example you need an STC for your specific aircraft from the manufacturer, and that’s outright expensive to obtain it.

If someone knows a way on how to do that in a reasonable manner would be interested, too. But I decided not to pay 5-digits for that, having a working AP already installed.

Germany

Yes, STEC is an exception in that a fully “maximum anality legal” installation of transplanted equipment is not viable due to their restrictive practices. Similarly they block sales of the Avidyne DFC90 because that uses the STEC servos.

But the old King autopilots do work. There are vast numbers of them installed and some high % do not work or do not work properly, and are getting chucked out as people blow tens of k on new kit. These old units could be fixed, cleaned up, and installed in anything which has an STC or which can be installed under the aircraft TC.

Only the KFC225 remains an issue due to servo burnouts. There is no fix that can be applied legally. It is a super accurate autopilot. HBK relaunched it a few years ago but AFAICT this failed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From EASA perspective, can a pilot owner unplug the box and open it to clean and replace faulty component?
I had a few issues with over/fridge/dish washer at home and it is mostly due to electronics component that usually dies after 10 to 15 years, the capacitor most of time.
For these old stuff, I suppose it can be very easy to open and replaces component that get old.

Edit: had a look at https://www.bendixking.com/en/support/repair-partners
They are not advertising AP repairs… What a waste when you know garmin is earning a lot because they are not following their products up…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Jun 08:23
LFMD, France

Absolutely not legal, except off the books

I have come across a load of avionics guys and avionics installer who used to do all kinds of repairs, but only off the books.

Yes indeed; capacitors drying out are a prime candidate for all kinds of weird behaviour. The order is the usual one:

• fix corrosion
  • fix mech damage
  • replace electrolytics
  • check supply rails and fix the regulators
  • get the circuit diagrams out

The “future with Garmin” is send it back to Garmin for a fixed price repair fee, which will be 4 digits.

Administrator

How many people are really worried about on-books or Off-books repairs, for non airframe or engine works for 30 to 50yr old airframes?
C’mon Peter, we all know you can fix this stuff, it’s just a matter of when you’re gonna get set up to do it!

United Kingdom

Nobody will do this for others, unofficially, and take on the liability under which they will definitely be pursued if there is an accident, when most people will spill the beans if it opens a route to an insurance payout

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes, STEC is an exception

Just reviewed other companies and stumbled over the TruTrak pro. That’s really cheap. It comes with an STC for several SEPs, but it is “non-TSO”. What does that mean? Could I fly IFR with it?

Germany

See here and here and this.

Trutrak and Trio are “toys” IMHO especially for Europe.

Better than nothing, sure, but would I

• spend 5 digits
  • risk an avionics shop buggering something up
  • get weeks of downtime
  • get an autopilot which cannot fly a heading, or ILS

No

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The “future with Garmin” is send it back to Garmin for a fixed price repair fee, which will be 4 digits.

Not quite true – a bit of inflation there I think !

2023 retail flat-rate repair price for a GSA28 servo (certified version) is $462 and exchange is $554. The experimental versions are $10 less
The GMC507 autopilot controller exchange price is $755.

UdoR wrote:

Just reviewed other companies and stumbled over the TruTrak pro. That’s really cheap. It comes with an STC for several SEPs, but it is “non-TSO”. What does that mean? Could I fly IFR with it?

There are lots of avionic boxes around that are certified for IFR operation but don’t hold a TSO. The Bendix-King KN64 DME for example (25W output instead of the required 100W as in the almost identical KN62A), or Garmin’s G5 display or GFC500 autopilot. Any limitations should be stated in the AFM supplement if there is one (unlikely for just a DME but required for an autopilot).

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

This guy put a Trio Pro Pilot into a Cessna 190. Not sure how much an aircraft like this is actually flown IFR/IMC though.
planecheck_N1904U_56627_pdf

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Jun 08:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message