Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bendix King EHSI KI-825 acting up

https://www.bendixking.com/content/dam/bendixking/en/documents/document-lists/downloads-and-manuals/006-18280-0000-KI-825-Pilots-Guide.pdf

Hoping the EuroGA team might have some helpful suggestions.

My panel is vintage late noughties with non-WAAS 530/430/KFC200 combo and GPSS roll streering.

The HSI is an EHSI and the remote slaving appears kaputtegangen, so operating on the free gyro at the moment. This means taking the HDG mode off on the A/P and synchronizing the HSI with the compass every twenty moments or so. Very old skool.

Fiscally I spend maintenance budget on airframe and engine components and try and operate avionics somewhat like the Ney York Public Utilities, get them fixed when they fail.

The KI-825 is of its era and has some minor quirks but seems to be a decent HSI. A quirk is that while the GPS auto-slews, the ILS doesn’t. ILS FAT has to be manually set.

Options are:

1. Fix the remote slaving issue (may just be a minor item?), any usual suspects?
2. Install a G5 which does work apparently with the KFC200 in HSI mode – presumably requiring a GMU-11 magnetometer and GAD29B for A/P and avionics interphase – may save some weight on the old remote compass? but may require some panel surgery, although might fit in the space of a KI-825
3. Install a GI-275 with associated magnetometer and interphase – advantages might need less panel surgery? When my AI is due for replacement the KFC200 will talk to a GI-275 AI but not a G5 AI, and the panel will look more updated – disadvantages is the waiting time

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Normally this is due to a duff KG102A directional gyro. Bearings wear and the drift exceeds the slaving rate. Overhauled exchange units are readily available.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

@wiggylamp thank you!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message