Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

Just thinking about buying something to runs SkyDemon in flight so any experiences/recommendations much appreciated. Looking initially at Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4-inch Tablet.

Thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I’ve used it on both iPad and now mainly Google Nexus 7. The Android version of SkyDemon used to be much slower and less stable than the iOS version with features missing but that has improved greatly with the last update. It is now rather good.

I believe any modern Android tablet will do.

I am confused! Shall I need a sim card to run this or if I do not wish to use mobile data streaming will everything else be accessible i.e. the gps chip?

UK, United Kingdom

No need for a SIM card. I think nowadays it doesn’t make sense to buy any tablet with SIM card because everybody has a mobile phone and these support connecting sharing over wifi and bluetooth. Extra SIM card = extra weight for the chips, extra cost for data plan, extra hassle with separate plan.

My earlier tablets all had SIM cards, today I don’t get that option anymore. The old iPads had the GPS linked to the 3G chip which was really bad design but today all models have GPS. Never been a problem with Samsung / Google etc.

Ipad mini is the perfect size and runs as smooth as imaginable.
No need for simcard unless you are desperate to download notams and weather en route

Egnm, United Kingdom

No need for simcard unless you are desperate to download notams and weather en route

I guess that is true for bimbles within the UK but there are plenty of scenarios abroad where you may wish that you bought the 3G version, given the few hundred € which you paid for the thing originally.

For example I have just been in Greece for a couple of weeks, and I got a 5GB “Wind” SIM for €17, which was good for 6 months. So, for €17, no need to mess with wifi, which may be “free” but nearly always needs a password, which often doesn’t work, is often too weak in the hotel room (OK in the lobby downstairs, of course), is often incredibly slow, etc, etc. Been there, done that countless times, and life is too short. Get the 3G version…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The old iPads had the GPS linked to the 3G chip which was really bad design but today all models have GPS

Really? I could not confirm it by Googling but that would be great change. My only phone is company provided and my preference has been to avoid having a phone bill! I use a Bad Elf GPS with the WiFi only iPad Mini that’s dedicated to the planes.

The old iPads had the GPS linked to the 3G chip which was really bad design but today all models have GPS

Not according to Apple

That said, most modern smartphones (certainly the iPhones) have the ability to work as WiFi hub, so no real need for a SIM in the pad (of whatever description). The only caveat is that not all data plans (at least in the UK) allow tethering.

The only caveat is that not all data plans (at least in the UK) allow tethering.

But many do and you get much better options on data roaming than with tablet plans. For example on Vodafone you can get your data allowance in Europe for £3 a day when you want to use it. That is far cheaper than roaming data and this option is not available on their ipad plans.

EGTK Oxford

I just bought a new (s/h) ipad mini and added a micro sim to my existing Vodafone account. It has exactly the same data package as the iphone for £6.00 per month.
I asked for a 24 month contract and the salesman said “you can have 6 or 12 month contract if you like”.
I said, “Is it going to be cheaper than £6.00 in 12 months time?”
“probably not” says he.
“24 months please”, says I.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 26 Sep 22:07
Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message