Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

No, not when entering a TMA and flying VFR.

Let’s agree to disagree, then.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Two-way continuous radio communication is required in C/D

Is that true? My impression was that you needed two way communications to enter Class C or D airspace.

Yes, it’s true, according to ICAO Annex 2 (Rules of the Air). Of course, the US does things their own way so it might be different there.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You don’t need two radios to get the ATIS. You can say to ATC “getting the ATIS, back in a minute”.

Obviously, and I do that occasionally.

It occurs to me that another advantage of having a hight transition altitude is that all traffic (regardless of altitude) is on the same altimeter setting after calling ATIS and before contacting tower, and nobody has to talk about altimeter settings on tower frequency.

Silvaire, I forgot to say that I was talking IFR only. In VFR flight, there is usually always the opportunity to get the ATIS and you can delay, circle whatever. Under IFR, it is not always feasible to get the ATIS in a one man cockpit.

There are situations where you are being vectored and can’t just disappear for a minute. Also there are very difficult situations with weather or the procedure. Before I ask ATC for permission to leave the frequency to get the ATIS, I rather not get the ATIS at all — less workload for both sides. Also the point about some ATCs’ poor command of the English language is actually another argument for not asking to switch to an ATIS frequency.

Peter’s FL200 flights make it a lot easier because you can receive the ATIS an hour before arrival but when going at lower levels, you often only get it very close and when there is CB activity, it gets really difficult to tune the ATIS.

In most cases I manage to get various ATIS until approach but not always. Like Jason, I never write down ATIS information, just dial QNH on altimeter 2, memorize the runway and the ATIS ID and if there is something unusual on it.

Silvaire, I forgot to say that I was talking IFR only. In VFR flight, there is usually always the opportunity to get the ATIS and you can delay, circle whatever. Under IFR, it is not always feasible to get the ATIS in a one man cockpit.

That makes sense – I would hope that under IFR approach control or whoever would read you the destination ATIS (or at least altimeter setting) without a frequency change, and before hand-off to the airport tower.

Skydemon historic logs

Hi All,

I have a few flights logged via the navigation function. I can output the flight profile to the Skydemon interface and also to Google Earth.

What I want to do, but can’t figure it out, is see the plog for the flight. Anyone know if SD can do this?

cheers

EDHS, Germany

Hhhmh.. as far as I can see it, you can open the plog for past flights if you saved the planned flights. But that will obviously only contain the planning data and not the actual data.

Hhhmh.. as far as I can see it, you can open the plog for past flights if you saved the planned flights. But that will obviously only contain the planning data and not the actual data.Maybe post a feature request to SD?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

looks like we both got to the same place. I will post the feature request as I like to compare what I planned with what I achieved.

I do like the new live plog function.

EDHS, Germany

How do you output the flight log to Google earth?

Like so:

Open any of your logs. You can either hit the “View in Google Earth” button or export it as a *.kml file and open it in Google Earth later.

You can do this on the iPad, too, but I cannot do screenshots for that now.

It’s a very fun feature. With a bit of tweaking, you can fly along your entire flight path in first person view again in Google Earth, at a pace of your choice.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message