Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

JnsV wrote:

In reality, the taxpayer funded part is often much bigger than half, especially if we take all costs (e.g. infrastructure, civil servant pensions and other benefits etc) into account and user fees only cover a smaller part of the actual cost, but they are a very good excuse to make goverment-produced data proprietary.

Exactly.

Last Edited by AF at 19 Oct 20:17

achimha wrote:

As evidenced by the referenced thread, they do care and the problem was addressed after SkyDemon had raised it.

SkyDemon should have been more proactive here.

Could you advise how DFS addressed this? I went to the DFS website and planned a flight taking me close to Mülheim Kärlich and it gave me just one NOTAM for that area and that referred to an obstacle light of an industrial plant being unserviceable? (this was using the VFReBulletin.) I also updated my NOTAMS – nothing about an ED-R over the nuclear power station. I have just updated my charts for Sky Map and Flight Planner – these now have the second revision of the 2017 ICAO Germany charts on them. No ED-R.

Had I not seen this thread, I would have been totally clueless, regardless of the fact that I always brief NOTAMs and have the latest charts installed…..

AF wrote:

They can prosecute a pilot for a bust, regardless of nav tools used. A PPL is supposed to fly with VFR charts, and Germany does publish good VFR charts.

What if I can reasonably prove that I have read all the relevant NOTAMs and my charts are the latest available for the region in question, how can the DFS justify ‘hiding’ this ED-R with an AIP Supplement?

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 21 Oct 10:33
EDL*, Germany

SkyDemon 10 years old

It seems to have gone unnoticed here but SkyDemon is 10 years old. Whar a game changer it has been.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I have recieved it as a gift for my birthday just two weeks ago. Unfortunately couldn’t try it yet, because both times I had a plane booked this week the weather was unflyable :(

I’m really looking forward to using SD for real though. I can certainly see it totally transforming my flight preparation and in-flight navigation.

Anyone got a hint for me which device (no Apple products!!!) to best run it on? My Galaxy S8 seems a tad small, display wise, for this job…

Last Edited by MedEwok at 06 Dec 20:16
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Go for a 7” display if you can

MedEwok wrote:

I’m really looking forward to using SD for real though. I can certainly see it totally transforming my flight preparation and in-flight navigation.

What have you been using? For VFR PPL it is literally the first thing you should spend your money on imo. For an aviation product its so cheap. To be honest it runs much better on an iPad than any other tablet I’ve tried it on but maybe there are high spec Android tablets that I don’t know about.

EIMH, Ireland

Mind you I blame SkyDemon, Easy VFR etc for the decline in my navigation skills. I cannot think how I used to navigate Europe without them.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 06 Dec 21:07

Skydemon has transformed VFR flying. Tim and his crew have done it by listening, listening, listening and constantly improving their product. I raise my glass to them and wish them a happy birthday, and all the best for the next 10 years.

EGTF, LFTF

zuutroy wrote:

What have you been using? For VFR PPL it is literally the first thing you should spend your money on imo. For an aviation product its so cheap. To be honest it runs much better on an iPad than any other tablet I’ve tried it on but maybe there are high spec Android tablets that I don’t know about.

During and right after PPL training I used the built in VFR GPS of the club’s Aquila, a product called Flymap. It was decent though and had a nice big display.

After that I basically returned to navigating by paper charts and pilotage, but I never ventured far from my homebase anyways so didn’t really need much support at navigating. Now that I’ve got SD, a trip further away looks much less daunting to plan and fly.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 07 Dec 00:49
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Go for a 7” display if you can

Not that many devices in this form factor available. I still use an old 2013 Nexus 7 as it’s almost perfect size-wise (but starts to show its age). iPad mini 4 is a really good device for these purposes (seems to have very good and sunlight-readable display), but crazy expensive with the LTE option.

MedEwok wrote:

Have you access to X-Plane (the flight simulator)? SkyDemon can use X-Plane’s data output as location input, and you can train the actual usage even in non-flying weather.

EHRD / Rotterdam
Sign in to add your message