Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EFIS - is bigger better, or more units better?

boscomantico wrote:

Sounds like you should be looking for a different aircraft type…

If the OP is fine with VFR I don’t see anything wrong with that..the G3X offers a lot for VFR. But Sky Demon does that too VFR..for less bling ….
I would solve the AP issue first with all the GPS real estate already in it….

EBST

Vref wrote:

The G3X is STCd no interface for legacy DME possible. I believe you need the G500 TXi for that with a GAD43E, GI275 is TSOd
But since your not going to drive IFR ..that requirement can be neglected

You can have a DME without having it to display on the MFD, but only on its instrument box. It’s not the best, but requirement are fulfilled?

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

You can have a DME without having it to display on the MFD

Agreed, never understood why Garmin seems to ignore completely the existence of DMEs on a part of there product line, maybe I am biased and spoiled with my SN3500 seeing the DME distances in the corners whatever is selected NAV1/2…

EBST

In reality the only reason to have a real DME is to be legal. What you’ll actually use is the GPS-derived distance shown on the G300 (or whatever).

LFMD, France

You do need a DME for some approaches, notably ILS ones. Examples

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If all you want to do is fly VFR – and in Europe that mostly means day VFR – then why bother with any of these toys? Frankly, I’d say use your money for Avgas, not for panel bling.

greg_mp wrote:

But I still want to get rid of the vacuum driver hardware, and I’m convinced with the use of clear and concise engine monitor along with a fuel flow sensor. There are many way to do it.

Makes sense. For VFR I can recommend the AV-30C, for half the price (and less weight) than the GI275. Install it under the latest version of CS-STAN, it will save you big $$. Be sure to install the magnetometer too; it was not available when I did my avionics upgrade. PM me if you want more info, we can also have a phone call about it.

Good luck with your decisions :)

etn
EDQN, Germany

boscomantico wrote:

buy an IFR-certified (albeit not fully IFR-equipped) aircraft and you do want to sink a lot of money into its avionics

In my view, there’s no right or wrong here – just different options and approaches:
- Buy a cheaper, less equipped, or not cosmetically beautiful aircraft, then inject more money into avionics/paint/overhaul/etc. to make it your “dream aircraft” per your desired specs,
- or buy a more expensive, better equipped aircraft, which might – or might not – correspond to your specs.

Which route is better is really a case-by-case decision depending on the airframe you want, what you find, etc.
I went the 1st route as I found a relatively low cost, low hour, excellent condition (although not cosmetically perfect) airframe. But it was clear to me that I would need/want to do some upgrades at some point. I started with avionics, will possibly re-cover the wings in a few years, etc. I’ll perhaps end up spending the same amount as if I had bought a more modern aircraft, but can spread the costs over several years and make it the way I want. And have fun flying all the time :)

etn
EDQN, Germany

I make a lot of avionics upgrades, autopilots, glass cockpit etc.
Its good direction as you can agree with me how cockpit will looks like and you can choose your avionics however you need to remember that it’s not five minutes work, usually ground time is around 2 months and my calendar is full for next 6 months (what is more or less standard in this business).

If you have time to wait, it’s good option. Make also sure that company is working on your aircraft will make it profesional (I saw a lot of stories) and will not rip you off (I saw a lot of stories).

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Thanks for all your comments. Most of them doesn’t really answer my question :D, but they are usefull anyway.

etn wrote:

I went the 1st route as I found a relatively low cost, low hour, excellent condition (although not cosmetically perfect) airframe. But it was clear to me that I would need/want to do some upgrades at some point. I started with avionics, will possibly re-cover the wings in a few years, etc.

You got me :).

The idea to have a good base from maintenance point of view and good working stuffs, allow me flying whenever I want. I would be pleased by a very good looking plane, but I can’t have a hangar place in LFMD, too few places too expensive, so he will remain outside with a good cover on it.
I have several option for the upgrade shop, either one where the plane is at the moment – so just after buying, or locally but the 1st one has good réputation.

etn wrote:

For VFR I can recommend the AV-30C

I have seen this nice stuff, I may take it for backup, but they are advertised as certified, why not take it as PFD+HSI? For me; it’s a question of AP interface. Garmin does a specific version of GI275 HSI that can drive old autopilot such as KAPxxx. What is interesting o the AI is the AoA function.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 20 Oct 21:00
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message