Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to clean sticky plastic (decomposing rubber coating)

After storing my headset for a while, the plastic on the control panel starts to get unpleasantly sticky. Mineral spirits and Orange Terpene (Ersolin) didn‘t work sufficiently. Nail polish remover works a little better but also removes the stickers. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Last Edited by Chris at 26 Nov 10:10
TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Probably a disintegrating rubber coating. It does not have a glue layer bonding it to the underlying hard plastic, but the material itself sticks to the plastic, making it difficult to remove.

IME rubbing alcohol (isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol) works best but still needs a fair amount of rubbing since it primarily prevents readhesion of the rubber. it does not actually dissolve it as such. Ethanol / methylated spirit also works ok.

Acetone is bad as it also does not dissolve the rubber but is likely to damage the plastic itself.

Rubber is tenacious stuff, most chemicals damage it in the long term but it is hard to breK down quickly.

Biggin Hill

If you can still get hold of it, you could try “terabenthyne”. I used to use it a lot for cleaning film and editing equipment, but I haven’t bought it for a long while now.

France

@gallois: you mean turpentine? Terabenthyne seems to be kind of oil out of turpentine. Well would look out for that. Unfortunately one usually gets most of these chemicals in amounts 500ml or 1l ….

TB20 Airman

I remove that stuff with IPA (isopropyl alcohol). It takes a bit of work but comes off.

That horrible coating was fashionable on laptops etc about 10 years ago and it goes sticky and falls apart.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If it’s really rubber, the best stuff is Bestine glue thinner. Available in any craft store in the US, but I can’t find it in Europe – undoubtedly banned. It’s just heptane, which in theory you can get from any industrial chemical supplier – though on Amazon I could only find it in 1000 litre drums, which is probably more than you’ll need.

LFMD, France

I used acetone on mine.

Forever learning
EGTB
Acetone is risky, first try on the plastic type for attacking the component. Vic
vic
EDME

IME rubbing alcohol (isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol) works best but still needs a fair amount of rubbing since it primarily prevents readhesion of the rubber. it does not actually dissolve it as such.

This is the most commonly recommended approach for completely removing the coating on older Lightspeeds that have it (I see your logo). There are long threads on the issue on some forums. Lightspeed dropped the coating on newer ones.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Nov 17:21

@silvaire: yes, it’s an older Zulu, the coating felt good at the beginning, but now it’s disgusting

TB20 Airman
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message