Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA night VFR aircraft equipment requirements LAPL/SEP

Night VFR aircraft (LAPL/SEP) equipment requirement.

What are the minimum required equipment installed for Night VFR flying in EASA land, where´s approved?
Is this as per Type Certificate (TC), Flight Manual, or was that amended to be not related to TC anymore?

Last Edited by Yeager at 09 Dec 19:39
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

What are the minimum required equipment installed for Night VFR flying in EASA land, where´s approved?
Is this as per Type Certificate (TC), Flight Manual, or was that amended to be not related to TC anymore?

The minimum is everything that is listed as required

• In NCO.IDE.A.120
  • In the POH limitations section (if any)
  • In the Type Certificate (if any)

… and of course radio, transponder and navigation equipment depending on airspace and the (non-)possibility of navigating with reference to landmarks.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Dec 20:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A google on NCO.IDE.A.120 yields loads of hits, with two seemingly different ones both being “EASA”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A google on NCO.IDE.A.120 yields loads of hits, with two seemingly different ones both being “EASA”.

If you google, you have to make sure that you get the current version… It is a much better to click your way from EASAs homepage – the most recent version of the Air Ops regulation is two clicks away: https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/document-library/easy-access-rules/easy-access-rules-air-operations-regulation-eu-no-9652012

Anyway, this is the current version of NCO.IDE.A.120:

NCO.IDE.A.120 Operations under VFR – flight and navigational instruments and associated equipment

(a) Aeroplanes operated under VFR by day shall be equipped with a means of measuring and displaying the following:
..(1) magnetic heading;
..(2) time, in hours, minutes and seconds;
..(3) barometric altitude;
..(4) indicated airspeed; and
..(5) Mach number, whenever speed limitations are expressed in terms of Mach number.

(b) Aeroplanes operated under visual meteorological conditions (VMC) at night, or in conditions where the aeroplane cannot be maintained in a desired flight path without reference to one or more additional instruments, shall be, in addition to (a), equipped with:
..(1) a means of measuring and displaying the following:
….(i) turn and slip;
….(ii) attitude;
….(iii) vertical speed; and
….(iv) stabilised heading;
and
..(2) a means of indicating when the supply of power to the gyroscopic instruments is not adequate.

(c) Aeroplanes operated in conditions where they cannot be maintained in a desired flight path without reference to one or more additional instruments, shall be, in addition to (a) and (b), equipped with a means of preventing malfunction of the airspeed indicating system required in (a)(4) due to condensation or icing

Then there are some AMCs about how to interpret the rules when you have an EFIS and some concessions for local flights of short duration.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Dec 09:51
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The minimum is everything that is listed as required

In NCO.IDE.A.120
In the POH limitations section (if any)
In the Type Certificate (if any)
… and of course radio, transponder and navigation equipment depending on airspace and the (non-)possibility of navigating with reference to landmarks.

Thanks.
Since NCO.IDE.A.120 does not include the aircraft “Operating lights” systems required, I suppose additionally NCO.IDE.A.115.

Airborne_Again wrote:

In the POH limitations section (if any)

Unfortunately my FM (POH) has a “Night VFR equipment”, under Radio-Navigation, requirement of VOR/LOC or ADF. So, in this case I´d need to get my VOR/LOC (Narco 11A) serviced and serviceable .

Last Edited by Yeager at 10 Dec 09:59
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

With the new UL regs coming eventually some day (long overdue) for Norway, we can fly night VFR in ULs, but only with aircraft mounted BRS. Don’t know about other instruments and equipment, but probably according to NCO-IDE.A.120 I would think.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

With the new UL regs coming eventually some day (long overdue) for Norway, we can fly night VFR in ULs, but only with aircraft mounted BRS. Don’t know about other instruments and equipment, but probably according to NCO-IDE.A.120 I would think.

That’s sensible 👍

always learning
LO__, Austria
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message