Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help deciding on panel upgrade

The goal is to finish my CB-IR rating and get to know the plane since it is new to me. Long term thinking is maybe go with a GFC500 although my current AP work well.

I’m going to wait until my annual in 4 motor and see what I think about it all before buying anything.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

@Wingover avionics always get lots more pricey than one thinks. Some say it’s the same price for install than what the device costs.

Your avionics is working but you cannot fly GPS approaches, correct?

What about keeping everything as is but installing a simple device like the 175 from Garmin additionally for having the ability of doing GPS approaches? Without touching anything else.

Hand flying the approach isn’t that hard. I still do it every approach because it’s fun.

I know it’s not perfect. But when you open the can of worms it’s an epic journey to a new panel. I’ve seen so many projects. Something goes wrong. Something breaks. And then who’s there to blame? Old parts tend to make trouble when you start to change something. It’s incredible how few things you can install for insane amounts of money. And then how often will you use your plane to see a return of invest?

Just my 2 cents because of the very low cost limit that you settle. I’d say it’s unrealistic to achieve it in another way.

If you later go for the GFC500 you will have to change lots of things anyhow.

Last Edited by UdoR at 21 Mar 19:06
Germany

@UdoR you are right about the cost of avionics. I currently have the Garmin 175 installed already and can hand fly the approach. I was hoping for the GPSS for X country flying instead of moving the heading bug but can live with that for now.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

I hope you can still get and take advantage of an IR with your setup. I understand your disappointment.
So you have your GPS CDI on the G5 and the VLOC on the mechanical CDI ?

LFOU, France

I have both on the G5

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message