Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen EFD1000

Thanks a million Jesse

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Aspen just came back to me, they will investigate this, will let you know ASAP.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@ Peter,

8.33 is mandatory now for IFR in CAS. G-regs needs just one 8.33 radio; some others (like D-regs) need two

AOPA Germany has clarified in an article published on Nov 7th, 2013, after bilateral talks with German CAA (LBA and BAF) that
for the time being starting January 1st one 8.33Khz radio set out of two IFR radios is sufficient for IFR flights within Germany.
This article is written in German only.
aopa.de/aktuell/kein-zweites-8.33-funkgeraet-fuer-privates-ifr-vorgeschrieben.html
Rumour says avionic shops are not happy with it …

EDxx, Germany

That is brilliant news, nobbi.

Rumour says avionic shops are not happy with it

I cannot understand that at all

Could you please add something to the end of here ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

However, the AOPA standpoint is very very borderline. The avionics can’t really be blamed for taking that position. As always, too manx regulations, too many involved authorities, and the result is total confusion.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What is this, on the back of an EFD1000?

It might be the AHRS which is heated for temperature stabilisation, but I recall seeing one of these at Aero EDNY and commented that the back of it was too hot to touch even with it just sitting in free air on the bench, and the Aspen guy said this is due to the aforementioned heater. But if the heater is separate like this, and above the main compartment, the main bit should not get that hot.

Administrator

Cooling fan.

T28
Switzerland

The bit sticking out is a fan but what is underneath it?

Administrator

The fan is used to cool the LCD backlights (and the component board) so I doubt something would be installed beneath it preventing it to function per design. The EFD1000 runs very hot (as in second-degree burns hot) and will fail when overheating so preventing airflow to that fan is to be avoided at all costs.

T28
Switzerland

Yes the Aspen “QA story” is a colourful one, as per various threads here, with this being a recent example. They eventually started soak testing the stuff to take out infant mortality but it helped only partly because thermal cycling will kill all electronics; it’s just a matter of how many cycles and how deep they are, and with the EFD1000 delta-T it is as deep as you can get.

I cannot understand why they don’t mount the AHRS on the back, on an insulating spacer.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message