Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100UL (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

The unleaded fuels 91UL and 94UL have a lower Motor Octane Number (MON), so that may (will) change the performance of the engine compared to 100LL.

How’s that possible unless the engine has FADEC and is equipped with knock sensors?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I just wouldn’t expect 100% technical expertise by these AOPA people. That would be asking a bit much.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Isn’t TEL like all additives added after the refining process and sometimes on the delivery tanker.

France

What I have heard is that TEL contaminates a lot of the plant so the plant can’t be used for non-leaded fuels. That, if true, would suggest it is not done in the tanker.

But also you do need accurate mixing.

And finally I am sure TEL is “super highly dangerous” so anybody going near it needs to wear at least 2 yellow jackets

If that IAOPA stuff is BS, that’s serious because an awful lot of people are going to take it at face value.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Different continent, different customs

AVweb report:
Long Beach Subsidizes Unleaded Avgas

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Interesting that Swift is a player already. My impression is that their 100UL is vapourware, while Gami’s 100UL is vapourware in practice because they are playing hardball on their patent licensing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

Birrfeld shows Jet A1, 100LL, S98.

Yea, I had hoped they have UL91 but they don’t. If so, that would have been really neat.

So Triengen and Sitterdorf only for UL91, I recall Bressaucourt also had a pump.

Will go through it eventually and see.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

FBOs in California are under legal pressure to switch to G100UL asap.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/california-fbos-ordered-to-stop-selling-100ll-switch-to-g100ul/

It’s a nine year old game that has so far amounted to nothing, and won’t do so in the next five months (“first half of 2024”). GAMI is not going to generate enough production to supply the entire California fleet in 5 months, that is a fantasy and they’re not going to coerce the entire GA fleet in California into buying their STC. ASAP as a concept will be endlessly debated, and FAA will step in if necessary.

The legal churn is certainly annoying but it’s hardly likely that a state court ruling is going to suddenly disrupt many tens of thousands of aircraft operations daily under Federal oversight.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Feb 01:52

technical xylene (mix of isomers) has a RON around 130 and a MON around 110, and costs cheaper than avgas. However, its vapour is more toxic than avgas and somewhat carcinogenic, and some elastomers resistant to avgas will swell and eventually degrade in xylene.

I think this is an interesting comment from @ultranomad, given that G100UL is apparently 20% Xylene.

Sign in to add your message