Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground power / external battery charging (merged)

TomTom wrote:

I guess a minor change would cost around 10 times the price of this kit…

You should check if they would be willing to design a minor change. They might be able to spread the cost over a larger number of aircraft. The EASA fee would be about 290 Euro.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Years later after initally posting on this thread, I’m still using the same one of these without issue. $6.95 for the pig tail connector. I think my Concorde battery is about 6 years old now, kept on the charger whenever I’m not flying. My carburated engine starts quickly every time so the battery is never much discharged either by storage or use (or test).

The battery on my plane is in a fiberglass box and in-line fuse is close enough to the battery positive that I couldn’t pull the unprotected positive-side wire to ground if I wanted to do so. I think the fuse holder design looks less likely to eject the fuse than the type shown for 10X the price. The connector is tie wrapped in such a way that positive couldn’t contact ground from there either, regardless of it being fuse protected. I take a look at the pigtail every time I disconnect the charger before flight. It works fine.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Feb 23:45

Jesse wrote:

You should check if they would be willing to design a minor change

This minor change could be applicable for different aircraft models or just one?

Thank you

LFPE

I think an EASA Minor Change is aircraft specific but can have some value as a precedent for other applications. Similar to the FAA process for Major Alterations (FAA Minor Alterations are mostly just a logbook entry).

Unless you do an STC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Their reply :
Hello Thomas,

We were able to get word from the FAA about this kit in Europe. Unfortunately, there is no such clause as “minor alteration” under the EASA. It would need to undergo a complete approval process.

Due to the high costs associated with the approval process, the kit would be sold at a loss. As such, I regret to inform you that this product will only be available to customers in the United States.

So the only legal way for an owner would be to apply for EASA minor change relative to his aircraft…. Am I right?

Thomas

LFPE

Unfortunately, there is no such clause as “minor alteration” under the EASA.

There is a process under EASA called “Minor Change” but it is not like the FAA “Minor Alteration” which is in most cases just a logbook entry.

As such, I regret to inform you that this product will only be available to customers in the United States.

They appear to be unaware that countless thousands of US registered planes are based outside the USA They should sell this anybody, surely? It is the buyer’s responsibility to ensure a legal installation.

So the only legal way for an owner would be to apply for EASA minor change relative to his aircraft…. Am I right?

If you are EASA-reg you may need to contact an EASA 21 company. These can approve Minor Changes internally (without reference to EASA) up to a certain level. Usually there will be a charge.

It is also possible for you to apply to EASA directly; I know someone who did that, for a mod on a G-reg. But you have to know the process.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My TB20 has an external power socket with the “Piper” standard (one central pin, not the 3 pin Cessna model).
Having checked at a few airfields (no need, just curious) and found that several had nothing and some had a ground power unit (even 24 V).
But : either just some jumper type clamps or the Cessna-type plug.

I could buy a cable set with the correct plug, but it is a few hundred EUR.
Therefore the question – how often have you required (and received) ground power in the last 3-5 years ?

(just trying to find out whether it is worth to spend money on this)

EDM_, Germany

By three pin cessna do you mean the standard three pin NATO plug?

EGTK Oxford

Jason you are correct the Cessna plug is NATO standard as well as being the 28VDC world wide standard. I am told the the Piper plug is more commonly found supplying power to caravans & RV’s.

ch.ess wrote:

I could buy a cable set with the correct plug, but it is a few hundred EUR.

Buy a loose plug from a non-aviation outfit and a set of automotive jumper cables. Attaching one to the other is a no-brainer. You will probably save some 80% of the price.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message