Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MVP50 Engine Monitor

10 Posts

Has anyone installed this? Looks like a very worthy competitor to the EDM930, but with many more possibilities. The design has a GNS530 quality which is a bit out of date though… It’s certified as primary.

The 3.125 inches one looks smarter:

EGTF, LFTF

It looks very nice.

Great functionality in the size.

I assume the $5000 price tag includes the transducers e.g. the $800 Floscan fuel transducer…

I wonder if it can do a constant display of the LFOB – landing fuel on board. None of the Shadin instruments can do that (they can only show it momentarily) and only if you have a GPS+MFD combination can you leave that page showing on the GPS. I don’t think a GTN750 can show the LFOB while showing where you are going.

One thing to check is how many of your existing instruments you can legally replace with it (if that’s the plan). Specifically e.g. whether your aircraft type certificate specifies either a specific type of CHT instrument or say an EDM700. For example in my TB20 I could not replace the EDM700 (authorised as the primate CHT gauge) with one of these. I already have the “3.125” version of the EDM700":http://i.imgur.com/joAxg2B.png.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They are both STCed as primary for the TB20.
On the LFOB question, the bigger unit allows you to have that on all the pages, but the manual describes it as “to next waypoint” rather than destination – that’s one of the things I need to check with them. I know on the EDM700 for example you can select the GPS info used for that info, next wpt or destination. Also by having it on the front page you have to give up something, in my case it won’t fit in as I’d want to put the pressurisation info on it (one more gauge I can remove).
You’re right on the GTN, this cannot be displayed on the map page.

EGTF, LFTF

I don’t think a GTN750 can show the LFOB while showing where you are going.

Why do you need to have this always displayed? It’s a figure that doesn’t change rapidly and it should be enough to have a look at it every now and then. Also, with the way we do fuel planning, simple maths are more than enough for this purpose. Look your fuel flow and ETA and you got it. You wouldn’t land with 5 USG anyway, would you?

For example in my TB20 I could not replace the EDM700

You should be able to install an EDM 930 under N-reg. That’s a fantastic product, the same as the 830 but approved as a replacement of primary instruments. I have the 830 but left the factory instruments installed.

Last Edited by achimha at 21 Feb 09:49

They are both STCed as primary for the TB20.

That’s very good. I didn’t see that. What is the TB20 airframe S/N range on their STC? It might be even better than the EDM700 STC which might be S/N range limited.

What pressurised aircraft do you fly? If it is a turboprop, do they use the same Floscan 201B transducer as virtually all the piston installations?

On the LFOB question, the bigger unit allows you to have that on all the pages, but the manual describes it as “to next waypoint” rather than destination – that’s one of the things I need to check with them.

When I was looking at the Shadin Digidata I was told the same by Shadin. I didn’t go for it in the end (because they discontinued it, and wanted $9k to build me one!) but I vaguely recall their statement turned out to be false and actually – according to one user I know – the LFOB is to the end of the flight plan. Otherwise it would be pretty useless…

Why do you need to have this always displayed? It’s a figure that doesn’t change rapidly and it should be enough to have a look at it every now and then.

True; you don’t need to see it all the time. But I am rather used to having it readily visible, at the same time as seeing the route (which has to be constantly visible). I think this is really a case of how many features one might be giving up, in the course of some hypothetical avionics update, against which new ones one will be getting. I don’t like giving stuff up

With the subject engine monitor, it isn’t going to duplicate your totaliser (although, with care, it could duplicate the instrument itself), and to duplicate the oil pressure you will need to do some plumbing, which on an N-reg is doable as a Minor mod (I have seen a very nice such installation).

Also, with the way we do fuel planning, simple maths are more than enough for this purpose. Look your fuel flow and ETA and you got it. You wouldn’t land with 5 USG anyway, would you?

If you are doing a lunch from southern Germany to Losinj, yes Not if you get caught with a ~80kt headwind like here. Long range IFR, without a fuel totaliser, is infeasible safely to the limits of sensible reserves, never mind legal reserves. Sure people have done it. I know of one TB20 owner who flew from Biggin to Corfu (which is doable with, ahem, “legal” reserves) without a totaliser and, upon landing, found 5 USG in the tanks. Clever? Not really. He came very close to ditching. Against that, you have some great (not great for the pilot) ditching videos on youtube…

Just my opinion, of course, and attitudes to risk vary

Last Edited by Peter at 21 Feb 12:00
Administrator

(which has to be constantly visible)

Why?

I heard stories of pilots forgetting where they wanted to go, but not usually associated to private flying

LSZK, Switzerland

There’s no SN limitation.
This does replace your fuel totaliser, and your fuel gauges too.
I fly a piston, don’t know what the turbine version uses.
The EDM930 looks nicer, but is bigger and does less e.g. no vacuum, no pressure, no CO2 detector, no g meter, and you can’t monitor systems (landing gear and lights) although I’m not convinced about the usefulness of the latter.

Last Edited by denopa at 21 Feb 13:04
EGTF, LFTF

The STC and the IM are both interestingly dated 2009.

It uses what is fairly obviously a boxed Floscan transducer.

The sensors all appear to be priced separately.

Administrator

did anybody please manage to find-out how to make the MVP display fuel at destination? ours is only displaying fuel to next waypoint (useless!) and I can’t find how to change that / have even read the manual and still no joy; otherwise I can report satisfaction with the instrument.

CenturionFlyer
LKLT

Is there an STC for the MVP being installed in an EASA Registered Aircraft?

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message