Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

I am getting a Redline Sidewinder. I get very good reports from PA46 and C510 owners.

It drives the nosewheel. Assume it would work on flattish grass.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Apr 15:43
EGTK Oxford

@Peter

These should do it. And they’re portable, so you can stick it in the back of the plane! I’ve seen demos on them and they’re insanely powerful. The big model will tug a Learjet or PC12.

AC Air Technology

That’s quite funny

I would be amazed if it worked on grass. The tracks won’t work unless it’s really heavy, IMHO. But… it will have the weight of the front of the plane on it…

I don’t think the Sidewinder (Jason’s post) would work either, on grass, because it just drives the front wheel. It would be fine on tarmac.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure Peter, nose wheel has a lot of weight on it and if it will move a 4t aircraft on tarmac there is a lot of torque being generated.

EGTK Oxford

Yes; your post crossed with me typing more… I didn’t earlier realise the whole front weight will be on it.

So, with some “spikes” this might well work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 27 Apr 18:12
Frequent travels around Europe

I’ll probably buy one down the road myself and carry it with me. Just want to make sure it’s easy to detach the battery, so I can keep that in cabin. My luggage area is huge, but right above it sits the center fuel tank, and the last thing one would want is a Li-Ion fire there during flight…

The picture of the tractor I know was posted in jest, but I do actually use a tractor to pull the Auster out of the hangar solo! (It’s uphill and the plane has to go in sideways on a special trolley – so I tow the plane out with an ancient International Harvester tractor if I’m on my own, I’ve also used the tractor to get the aircraft on its trolley)

Andreas IOM

I am using sidewinder for my DA42. On tarmac it is great, really just the pros.
On grass – depends. If soil is hard – everything is fine, but once it is soaked with water – it won’t go.
Battery is easily detachable, all the engineering is of “good older times”, after a year of usage – no issues.

EP..

This is our solution. A second hand ride-on grass mower with the cutting gear removed. If the grass is wet we put extra weight on the back in the form of two breeze blocks.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message