Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

There don’t seem to be many horizontal 8.33 radios (without NAV or GPS) on the market: Garmin GTR 225, Trig TR96/97, PS Engineering PAR 200 (if one want to replace one’s audio panel at the same time – with a nice audio box and a hidden trig radio) and that’s about it…and the direct King KY196B Silver Crown replacement..but the price of that is crazy (I found no UK price but a US website listing it at $6,200..).

There are many other circular panel fitting radios, but I don’t want one of those.

Are people who are looking for a horizontally mounted radio only (no NAV) simply choosing between the Garmin and the Trig listed above or am I missing something?

Last Edited by Howard at 27 Nov 21:47
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For fairly obvious reasons, the UK might not implement that, given the Dec 2018 date….

How would that help you? Unless you fly only within UK. And UK CAA has on its website that brexit won’t change the implementation of that regulation.

A_and_C wrote:

I don’t think that just sticking an inop Plackard on the box is going to wash with the authority’s.

Unfortunately, your only defense is to take the authority to court (or perhaps some countries have more tools than that; of course you could try complaining at the ministry under which it falls). Not many people would be keen on that. In my opinion, the radios can stay where they are. They’re still approved equipment and can operate just fine. They won’t be very useful around here, but that’s my problem. If you’re unlucky and your authority wants it gone, then it’s a question of how much you want to risk trouble. One could explore the route of upgrading first and then sending the bill to the authority as their demands had no basis in the law. Taking it laying down is the worst option because they’ll just continue screwing you.

More specifically to the UK, I don’t see on that page any requirement to remove or disable radios.

Dimme wrote:

What is the current situation with 8.33 kHz channel spacing in Europe?

It’s still undecided as far as I know, and each country is allowed to have exemptions. These exemptions have to be reported to EASA by January 2017. In Norway, and the whole of Scandinavia for that matter, it’s still in the blue what will happen, but one possibility is flight below FL195 or 95 will be unaffected. In a month time we will know.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s still undecided as far as I know, and each country is allowed to have exemptions. These exemptions have to be reported to EASA by January 2017.

From where do you have this 2017 deadline? I saw no such thing in the regulation. Also, you’d report it to the Commission or Eurocontrol, not EASA. I quoted the only two reasons for an exemption – to accommodate State aircraft (such frequencies might not be available to the public) and in the interest of safety. For example, UK has a frequency used for cloud flying (where people make position reports so they don’t bump into each other) IIRC. And I think it can be argued that it should keep 25 kHz spacing for safety. I don’t think you’ll be able to play this card with that many frequencies.

As a 25kHz frequency will take out interfere with the 8.33 channel on either side of it I can’t see it as a good use of the spectrum. For this reason I don’t see the authorities letting much 25 kHz apart from 121.5 continuing for very long.

As Peter says this whole thing has been mismanaged and I can’t help thinking that if more priority had been given to the CPDLC system this situation would not have arisen.

Just a question after reading through most of the stuff about 8.33 channel spacing. We have a group of UK pilots coming in May 2017 and they do not all have an ELT installed in their aircraft or the 8.33 radio installed. Am I right to say that the 8.33 requirements is as of December 2017 and not yet needed for May 2017? And that a GNSS-based PLB can substitute the ELT requirement. Some of the aircraft are RV8 on the LAA certificate instead of the normal C of A certificate. Can they fly into The Netherlands? I am no expert in this stuff and personally could not understand why you would want to fly over the North Sea without an ELT installed and why you would not install a 8.33 radio if it is required anyways soon, but this seems to be the case. Any advise appreciated.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

Am I right to say that the 8.33 requirements is as of December 2017 and not yet needed for May 2017?

This depends on airspace. For CTR’s you would allready need 8,33 kHz. So they would need to do some planning and not cross CTR’s or land and controlled airports in the Netherlands. For VFR the final deadline is January 1St 2018.

AeroPlus wrote:

And that a GNSS-based PLB can substitute the ELT requirement.

According Part NCO yes (NCO.IDE.A.170), CAA-NL however doesn’t accept an PLB as it is not an ELT. See AIC-B 04-2016

AeroPlus wrote:

Some of the aircraft are RV8 on the LAA certificate instead of the normal C of A certificate. Can they fly into The Netherlands?

Yes, see AIC-A 16/02

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Aeroplus.

Some might say that a PLB attached to your life jacket is much more use than an ELT…… The PLB will stay with you as the aircraft and ELT sinks the bottom of the North Sea.

So for LAA Permit aircraft flying in the UK I understand there is no requirement demanding a PLB/ELT as can be seen here. How about such LAA Permit aircraft flying from the UK to The Netherlands?

EDLE, Netherlands

I believe it’s treated as an airspace requirement. Whether they actually can make such a demand is debatable. I think not but that’s not worth much in case they check you.

Sign in to add your message