Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Again, our opinions don't count

I think our opinions do count.

It's all we have, to decide whether to send €x000, or 2 x €x000.

It's all that we will have - until some court makes a decision, which is prob99.9 never going to happen, because there are far bigger fish to fry which nobody is interested in frying - like a couple of hundred planes flying in Germany with no DME

And a German court ruling will not be binding on UK courts. In any case, on past record, there is absolutely no way the UK CAA will be interested in prosecuting anybody on this. They have far bigger fish to fry, like people doing high profile illegal charters.

This 8.33 thing is quite expensive. It's more money, in most cases, than Mode S was, and Mode S was a Holy War which went on for years. It's still going on now, except that most people who want to fly outside UK Class G have given up making noise and paid up the ~£2500.

A KX165A, exchange, is a few k €. It will be more if you do it via a Part M company, which most people will do, which will supply it with an EASA-1 form and charge a few k € more, especially in some countries. Most people don't know that e.g. South East Aerospace can issue a dual-release 8130-3 which is good for an EASA-reg. Installing a used GNS430 will be similar but will be more work because of more wiring involved.

I also heard that the German "IFR Certificate" will not be issued unless you have two 8.33 radios. Is that true? Surely that "certificate" is going to become illegal...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also heard that the German "IFR Certificate" will not be issued unless you have two 8.33 radios. Is that true? Surely that "certificate" is going to become illegal...

It's just the avionics check that has a field for VFR / CVFR / IFR and it has to be done every 2 years for VFR / CVFR and every year for IFR, usually as part of the annual. Similar in most other countries.

The way I expect this to go:

• Your plane is up for the avionics check. Your examiner (after having read the new directive) tells you that he needs both VHFs to be 8.33kHz capable to sign off.

• You tell him bollocks because your friend XYZ has gotten a signoff and you go to the examiner of your friend.

• The examiner contacts the CAA asking them for guidance, complaining about the other examiner that did sign.

• The CAA will form an opinion and all examiners will follow it because that is what they always do (the CAA maintains the inspection license). Let's assume the CAA says both radios need to be 8.33kHz capable.

• You think you've been screwed (your signoff will become invalid) and you sue the CAA / government

• A court decides on the matter

A KX165A, exchange, is a few k €.

I wonder why they stopped manufacturing it / don't restart manufacturing. It's a great device and if they had a 165A upgrade program, they could sell thousands.

However, making sensible decisions hasn't been one of Honeywell's strengths in the last few years. From what I see at the trade shows, it looks like they recruit from the bottom 5% of the labor market.

It's just the avionics check that has a field for VFR / CVFR / IFR and it has to be done every 2 years for VFR / CVFR and every year for IFR, usually as part of the annual. Similar in most other countries.

However, my point is that this check is illegal.

It is not required for ICAO compliant airworthiness.

IFR certification of an aircraft with an ICAO CofA is based on

• IFR permitted on the Type Certificate, and
  • Equipment required (by both the TC holder and by the airspace owner) for IFR is installed

Obviously the 1st one is obvious and easy to determine - look in the POH or the TCDS. The 2nd one is down to pilot / operator choice.

Is the 165A actually discontinued, or merely scarce due to heavy European demand? Let me ask and report...

There will be lots going used in the USA, as the stampede to the latest 5-digit eye candy continues. They can go straight into an N-reg, or for EASA-reg will have to be reprocessed by an EASA145 shop. There is also an "interesting" route (I have the details somewhere) whereby an EASA Part F shop can convert an 8130-3 into an EASA-1 form, even for a used item.

From what I see at the trade shows, it looks like they recruit from the bottom 5% of the labor market.

I strongly disagree. More like 1%

There are also some Garmin radios - see other thread here. After all, Garmin will not lobby for 8.33 without a product to sell

Administrator

Just heard from SE Aerospace:

We do have the KX-165 A, P/N 069-01033-0201 available both NEW and refurbished.

REFURBISHED OUTRIGHT $3,695.00 Stock REFURBISHED EXCHANGE $1,495.00 Stock NEW OUTRIGHT $5,050.00 Stock NEW EXCHANGE $2,550.00 Stock

8.33 kHz Channel Spacing (-0201 model)

Administrator

It is a basic principle of English law that any ambiguity in a regulation/contract etc is construed against the party that wrote the regulation. If a regulation requires clarification then it is, by definition, ambiguous. Is German law so very different?

Here is an interesting explanation for the "need" for 8.33 in Europe...

Administrator

Peter writes: "Only that the knob wears out faster . . ." With the Garmin GNS xxx430, one should try to always use 'Autotune'. Not only is it safer - in that a mis-dialled frequency is avoided - but far less knob turning is required: hence, less wear even using 8.33 frequencies!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

With the Garmin GNS xxx430, one should try to always use 'Autotune'.

Do you have actual flying experience with the GNS430 and IFR? I can't imagine how that feature could be used in real life. When IFR, there are plenty of frequency changes en route which the GNS auto-tune does not help you with and then there are one or two frequencies for your destination airfield. Also scrolling through the list of auto-tune frequencies just to realize that the one you are looking for is not included, means additional time lost. The auto-tune approach would really require you to write down the frequency and then start looking whereas the direct dial approach can be done from memory.

There are so many frequencies in crowded central Europe, many of which the Garmin databases don't know about.

I have autotune on my old kit, KLN94 & KX155A, and find it nearly useless for that reason.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message