Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

the GPS track, which is a magnetic track

Is this somehow a requirement for certified GPS apparatus? It certainly doesn’t apply to mine, but that one is a long way from certification anyway… Mine displays GPS data as received, and those are not compensated for magvar AFAIK. As I never fly far from places where magvar is neglectable, or close to, it doesn’t matter very much.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

BTW come to think of it, isn’t it about time we did away with “magnetic” as the prime reference for azimut information? It only brings confusion, and lots of hassle such as relabelling runways from time to time.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Been in contact with various avionics shops in the US but it seems the KX165A 8.33 (201) as a refurbished unit is not so easy to get hold of.
Our existing panel has KX155A radios, KI209A and KI208 indicator heads, KLN94 GPS, Kap 140 Autopilot and a GTX330 transponder.
I’m considering the new Garmin GNC255a. With this we will get a new radio and it seems to have more up to date technology. As I understand a 8130-3 is enough if the equipment is new whereas a dual release form is needed for refurbished items.
1) Will it be much more to get this installed than the KX165a replacement?
2) Will the Garmin interface with our KLN94 to benefit from the options requiring pos. data.
3) Will the Garmin work with our KI209A

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Pmh, I am considering this solution also. I believe the garmin can be interfaced with the king indicators. A new kx165a -201 is 5800$ you Need a new back connector also and a DC/DC converter if your plans is 14v …The garmin looks to be the most cost effective and it has ARINC 429 build in makes interfacing much more easy..

EBST

I believe the garmin can be interfaced with the king indicators.

You are correct on that.

Last Edited by Jesse at 02 Jan 21:17
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Been in contact with various avionics shops in the US but it seems the KX165A 8.33 (201) as a refurbished unit is not so easy to get hold of.

Have you tried South East Aerospace, Sarasota Avionics, Gulf Coast Aero? The last two don’t really communicate well so a phone call might be better. These are the main discount dealers.

However I suspect the whole of the Peoples’ Republic of Individual Freedom Safeguarding Brussels is now trying the same thing, in a mad panic, because most owners don’t read EuroGA and didn’t discover 8.33 until they got shafted over at their Annual when they were refused the IFR Certificate (Germany) or when they were told on their Annual radio check…

2 years ago, I got a KX165A/8.33 from SE Aero for about $4k (overhauled), and they gave me $1500 for the original KX155A. So it cost me $2.5k. I guess they have put their prices up…

What is useful about an ARINC429 radio? I suppose in a cockpit which doesn’t have a GPS+radio box (i.e. doesn’t have a GNS or GTN box) the radio can drive an ARINC429 capable autopilot directly. But that should a fairly rare thing. I have one such case (KLN94/KMD550/KFC225) but the GPS doesn’t do ARINC429 so the only scenario where an ARINC429 radio would benefit me would be via possibly improved VOR or LOC or LOC+GS tracking. That’s unless I am misunderstanding something.

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Jan 21:18
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1) Will it be much more to get this installed than the KX165a replacement?

It depends a little on the current installation. However the Garmin would be an interesting alternative which has more capabilities. Don’t forget (if certified EASA aircraft) you also need an EASA approval to approve the installation in your aircraft, and that the installation must be carried out by an appropriate rated engineer of shop.

2) Will the Garmin interface with our KLN94 to benefit from the options requiring pos. data.

Yes, it will interface, you will get distance and ground speed on the GNC-255A. When tuning you get the frequency of the nearest stations available in the database.

3) Will the Garmin work with our KI209A

Yes it supports KI209A.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

What is useful about an ARINC429 radio? I suppose in a cockpit which doesn’t have a GPS+radio box (i.e. doesn’t have a GNS or GTN box) the radio can drive an ARINC429 capable autopilot directly. But that should a fairly rare thing.

When upgrading to a glass cockpit system, having ARINC429 will save you money, as it requires less wiring. It also enables newer functions to work. I don’t think it is a must, but it is an advantage to have ARINC429.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thank you for the replies.

Don’t forget (if certified EASA aircraft) you also need an EASA approval to approve the installation in your aircraft, and that the installation must be carried out by an appropriate rated engineer of shop.

It is EASA reg.
GNC-255A or KX165A anyway will be the cost of a minor mod ??

about $4k (overhauled)

I believe is about going rate still if you can find one. But this radio is then refurbished old tech. compared to the Garmin at same price.

they gave me $1500 for the original KX155A

If we purchase the Garmin we might still be able to sell the old King.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

GNC-255A or KX165A anyway will be the cost of a minor mod ??

Yes you would need a minor mod. You could apply for yourself, and pay the EASA fee (would be around 275-300 Euro). One needs to have proper knowledge to succeed. Depending on which aircraft, their may be excisting approvals that can be used for less money.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message