Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Radar Altimeter / RADALT

If it was 2500 ft activation I could imagine GPWS integration. With 500 ft I don’t understand usability.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Completely useless unless with an activation at 500ft. And only for Cat3 ils where very few of us are going. At least you could check in case of wring QNH…

LFMD, France

It seems genuinely useful in helicopters

Really? You can judge where you are with respect to the ground practically to within an inch, and what’s more you’re not even moving. I suppose if y ou were doing some kind of airwork that required you to be at a precise altitude AGL, but I can’t think what that would be.

I think @boscomantico has the true answer. Years ago a friend of mine got to fly someone else’s Bonanza, and it had absolutely everything you could think of (for the epoch – 2000 or so) including a radalt, and recognition lights like an airliner that light up the tail.

LFMD, France

Posts moved to existing radar altimeter thread. Funnily enough the older thread also started with “new radar altimeter from Garmin” 10 years ago but that was a bigger $15k box, a bit like the long term market leader KRA10 from King.

There is also discussion of how one might use such a product in fixed wing GA. It seems genuinely useful in helicopters but in FW GA it is less obvious, although it could be really nice to link it to a “gear up” audio warning annunciator.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It‘s availabe because it‘s technically possible and people love toys, especially if they resemble airline stuff.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I confess I don’t understand what this is for. The difference between a perfect landing and a dreadful one is less than a foot. It’s different if the wheels are 30 feet under you and 100 feet behind.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

That’s the catch.

True, but it will make the callouts even without a G3X.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Digital readouts will display only on G3X Touch PFD displays

That’s the catch.

there is a number of functionally similar, lidar based solutions for non g3x setups, but frankly, I don’t see enough of benefit to outweigh the weight, aerodynamic drag and current draw

Poland

Why can’t you say "retard "any more.

Sorry, I was being flippant. Used in a different context, it’s a thoroughly disagreeable insult.

LFMD, France

Why can’t you say "retard "any more.
I double checked and it means “delay”.

France
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message