Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

landing lights for light aircraft are not subject to any special certification and/or ETSO.

That seems an amazing concession, given that LED lamps have a switching power supply inside, with lots of interference potential.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d buy these https://www.aero-lites.com/

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

That seems an amazing concession, given that LED lamps have a switching power supply inside, with lots of interference potential.

I don’t see why 12 or 24 V LED lamps would need that? 230 V lamps, certainly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LED lamps need electronics; they have a sharp “knee” (like a Zener diode, a P-N junction, etc) and cannot be connected directly across a constant voltage supply (DC or AC).

Simple LED applications where you just want an indicator light are done with a series resistor to define the current. Say you want 10mA (that’s a pretty bright LED these days) from 5V: the LED drop is about 1.5V (for a red one) so the resistor is dropping 3.5V so needs to be 350 ohms. But you can’t do this at high powers; the resistor dissipation would be massive. You design some electronics to synthesise a constant current source, with a switching element (some tens or hundreds of kHz) and an LC filter.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

the resistor dissipation would be massive

Ok, got it!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“Yes, and unlike anticollision and position lights, landing lights for light aircraft are not subject to any special certification and/or ETSO”

Doesn’t matter. My maintenance organisation (and none that I know) will allow such lights to be fitted.

Basically it’s a full blown whealon replacement or stick with what you have.

Then take your money elsewhere.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Quote…landing lights for light aircraft are not subject to any special certification and/or ETSO.

Peter wrote:

I’m sure it’s not an intentional concession. It comes from the pre-LED era, and my understanding of the logic behind it is that certification was intended for light fixtures – specifically, for the angular distribution and colour of the light emitted – but not for the bulbs inside them. Unlike position/anticollision lights, landing lights on CS-23 aircraft are usually just sealed beams, so there’s no real fixture other than physical attachment.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Then take your money elsewhere.

I would speculate he probably cannot, due to the nature of the “relationship” between the owner and the only available maint company. This is pretty normal; the only way to avoid it is to operate off grid like I do

I’m sure it’s not an intentional concession

That’s very funny

Of course, never look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would still prefer to not get something totally dirt cheap. Same comment with cigar lighter USB chargers, etc.

Administrator

From here

It doesn’t surprise me that somebody found some “landing light” LEDs to be useless. In the retail lighting business the majority of LED products are basically no-name chinese junk. At the simplest level, if you have a load of 60W GU5.3 halogen lamps in your kitchen, and you replace them with LED versions which claim to be equivalent to 60W halogens, the room is much less bright…

Some years ago I installed these and they are great but could you use them to land on an unlit runway? No; you would probably bend the plane. Well, they do produce perhaps just enough light to see a spot on the tarmac at the very end of the landing phase. But they are brighter than the original GE lamps!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message