Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

The Whelen has 60k candela, the Aeroled 150k. If you need more power you need to get a Sunspot 64, 290k candela (not a drop in fit…).

T28
Switzerland

I was going to say LoPresti aviation HID lamp, but their website now redirects to Whelen… Seems to be these products now:
https://flywat.com/products/lsm-500-012-piper-nose-gear-light-hid-boombeam-for-piper-pa-46-350-pa-46-500-jet-prop
https://flywat.com/products/lsm-500-013-piper-wing-lights-hid-boombeam-for-piper-pa-46-350-pa-46-500-jet-prop

I don’t have a good idea on how they compare to the latest/best LED lamps.

ELLX

Sebastian_G wrote:

And after about 3.5 years it apparently failed. Quite sobering the “thousands” of hours it should last. As it will only go on when the gear is out it probably just did a couple of hours total operation.

I’d assume that not the LEDs themselves failed but rather some bonding or connection. Biggest stress on such LED lights is not the actual operation but rather the vibration, thermal stress, etc.

I hope the best for mine – have the same in my Malibu.

Germany

Whelen offers the Parmetheus Pro LED light, which is 101k candela, but pricier.

Maybe if you write them, they would send you a free one as a compensation for its early failure ?

LFOU, France

I had a dreadful experience with the original version of the Lopresti PA46 HID taxi lights.
I still have the Lopresti HID landing light installed and it works better than the stock PAR light.

The Lopresti HID wing tip taxi lights were a different story.
I don’t know if they are engineered the same way currently, but they used to be open with no covering lens. Out here in the tropics we often get morning condensation on the inside of the airframe lens which l suspect was then dropping into the bulb and blowing them at some point during the subsequent flight. I went through about 5 sets of HID lamps at considerable expense before giving up and switching to the Malibu Aerospace LED taxi lights. 8 years on, still going strong.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Sebastian_G wrote:

after about 3.5 years it apparently failed.

Have you checked the warranty? I have AeroLEDs and they have a 5 year warranty if one registers them. I just had a couple LEDs go out (not the entire lamp) on one of my AeroLED 36 HX landing/taxi pair and they were installed in 2012 so I’m out of luck on the warranty. Mine are on permanently with wigwag which perhaps reduces longevity. I also have wingtip AeroLEDs wired in to the wigwag and I’m told that my aircraft looks like a Christmas tree arriving on final!

The AeroLED Sunspot 36 HX (01-1030-H-A) is 45W, 4’950 lumens, 65’000 candela. It is 9-30V and can replace the GE 4591/4594 directly by the pilot with just a log book entry as long as no mods are made (unplug/plug). If the pulse version is installed, additional wiring is required which needs either the corresponding STC or field approval “based on” STC data.

The 50% more expensive Sunspot 36-4596 HX (01-1030-4596-H) is 100W, 11’000 lumens, and 150’000 candela and needs the STC. It is 28V only.

Both fit the PAR 36 mount.

FYI many AeroLEDs have a 10% off sale until Dec 11 via any reseller.

Last Edited by chflyer at 07 Dec 18:24
LSZK, Switzerland

Does anyone have any experience of these wingtip lights?

The flash lamp strobe power unit becomes redundant… that’s a fair size box which draws a few amps peak current.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have installed those Wheelan LED’s on my Jetprop. I opted not to wire up the synch to avoid having to open up the pressure vessel.
They work well. The only noticeable difference is a single flash from the strobe element compared to the double flash l used to get from the original strobes.
Pretty much a plug and play. Same footprint. Nice build quality.
E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Yes indeed that looks exactly like mine – thanks

Running the sync wire between the wingtips is a good task for the Annual coming up, even if I don’t fit the lights.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message