Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

stevelup wrote:

And that’s something that’s hard to achieve with LEDs without expensive precision optics.

Not really, my bicycle headlamp manages a narrow beam without being particularly expensive. The optics for a LED are going to be no more expensive or complicated than the ones for a filament lamp, just different (and can be made from plastic, given the much lower temperatures involved).

Andreas IOM

According to the Gospel of Mike Busch, replacing a light with a LED PMA one is not even a minor alteration. It is at 41 minutes of the video :

The PMA concept make the change legally equivalent to a standard replacement.

LFOU, France

Yes; a PMA part is the “same” part – if within the PMA applicability list. You can just install it like the original part. Even if working within pilot maintenance privileges.

That’s FAA.

Under EASA, you have various restrictions on acceptance of FAA-PMA parts (there is no EASA “PMA” system) and I don’t know what is the latest opinion on LED lamps

Practically speaking, FAA-PMA parts have been widely used for decades on EASA-reg planes regardless of the applicability table, because often there is no choice (e.g. magnetos; see above link) but the lights are, ahem, visible so if somebody is out to give you trouble, it is easy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Under EASA, you have various restrictions on acceptance of FAA-PMA parts (there is no EASA “PMA” system) and I don’t know what is the latest opinion on LED lamps

We just got a LED tail beacon installed on an old PA28. It was installed under the 21.A.307(c) authorisation. So as aeroclub chairman, I’ve now pledged my name to the safety of this piece of equipment. :-)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

stevelup wrote:

In this application, you want a narrow beam, surely?

I guess – and it really is a guess only – that the narrowness of the traditional landing light is simply because otherwise it would not be bright enough to serve its purpose. Or does having more of the runway lit when landing create problems?

Biggin Hill

Can owners install led lights on easa reg (ELA 1) planes?

always learning
LO__, Austria

If

• an LED lamp is a PMA part for the old lamp and the airframe type, and
  • EASA accepts PMA on LED lamps, and
  • changing a lamp is within pilot privileges, and
  • the procedure doesn’t involve something outside pilot privileges (like e.g. modification of the mounting, or running the wire between wingtips to get synced flashing)

then yes

In the TB20 job, installing the LED lamps involved subtle modifications to the Socata metalwork which was a bit too tight.

BTW, ELA2 is now current under Part-ML, so no longer limited to < 1200kg for anything specific, AIUI.

Administrator

I’m afraid LED lights cannot be considered PMA equivalents of conventional ones. Otherwise, CS-STAN makes such an installation trivial under standard change CS-SC031b “EXCHANGE OF CONVENTIONAL ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS, POSITION LIGHTS AND LANDING & TAXI LIGHTS BY LED TYPE LIGHTS”, but it is not suitable for release by pilot-owner. But I can release it for you ;-)

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It is a fact that some of these are FAA-PMA parts, so which bit (of my four-point list above, I guess) is the problem in EASA-land?

Administrator

Peter, if the four points are met, then it should be possible indeed. For a definitive answer, I’ll ask a colleague who has done lots of LED replacements, stay tuned.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 03 Sep 07:53
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message