Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

I have finally hit the buffers with my PA28 lights in that the strobe system has been troublesome for years and I have got sick of putting labour in to fixing a system that continually stops working. The latest problem being the control box failing, this thing is mounted in the tail of the aircraft and the access hole is of such that I can’t crawl through the gap over the batteries………. so in the absence of a nine year old child to sent in the hole I have to take the fibreglass bulkhead onto gain access.

The solution seems to be to fit the Whelen LED strobes using the original cables, as the high voltage strobes had shielded cables to prevent radio interference I can see no reason not to use the shield for the low voltage synchronisation signal, this should avoid having to run any new wires down the wings

This is all in the planning stage at the moment but is a prime candidate for certification under CS-STAN.

I have been involved with a vintage type that was involved in a major rebuild, the electrical system on this was struggling to support all the modern equipment and the lighting, thie problem was solved by replacing all the incandescent lights with marine grade LED bulbs, fortunately the aircraft was on Annex 2 and certification was under an AAN, the UK CAA took a very common sense attitude to the whole idea………….. I’m not sure that attitude would be found at EASA.

This may help..

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/notices-of-proposed-amendment/npa-2016-17

There,s mention in the NPA on replacement with LEDS

Southend, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A pilot is not authorised to change a light bulb, under pilot maintenance privileges?

Of course — to the same kind of light bulb (or equivalent). Changing to a LED light is something different and has to be signed off by a shop.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A_and_C wrote:

This is all in the planning stage at the moment but is a prime candidate for certification under CS-STAN.

Yes. Fortunately the Standard Change includes necessary wiring change! Not just the replacement of the actual light sources.

Hmmm, references?

If an led light is a legal replacement?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

trevor_s wrote:

This may help..

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/notices-of-proposed-amendment/npa-2016-17

There,s mention in the NPA on replacement with LEDS

The mention of LEDs in the NPA concerns interior and panel lighting. Exterior lights are already covered by CS-STAN.

Peter wrote:

In the case of an EASA STC, what is the process there?
A STC is not needed. The following applies according to CS-STAN:

EXCHANGE OF CONVENTIONAL ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS, POSITION LIGHTS AND LANDING & TAXI LIGHTS BY LED TYPE LIGHTS

1. Purpose
Exchange of anti-collision lights, position lights and landing & taxi lights by LED type lights.

2. Applicability/Eligibility
Aeroplanes not being complex motor-powered aircraft, rotorcraft not being complex motor-powered aircraft and not approved for NVIS and any ELA2 aircraft.

3. Acceptable methods, techniques and practices
The following standards contain acceptable data:

• FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13-2B, Chapter 4; and
  • FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13-1B, Chapter 11, Section 15 (on bonding).

Additionally the following applies:

• if applicable, the equipment is authorised according to the applicable ETSO/JTSO or equivalent;
  • the equipment is installed at the same location with identical light distribution angles and colours;
  • the equipment is qualified for the environmental conditions to be expected during normal operation;
  • instructions and tests defined by the equipment manufacturer have to be followed; and
  • any modification of electrical wiring is performed in accordance with acceptable practices such as the aircraft maintenance manual or Chapter 11 of FAA Advisory Circulars AC 43.13-1B and Chapter 4 of AC 43.13-2B.

4. Limitations
Any limitations defined by the equipment manufacturer apply.

5. Manuals
If needed, amend the AFM with AFMS containing equipment instructions for operation, as required.
Amend the Instructions for Continuing Airworthiness to establish maintenance actions/inspections and intervals, as required. In particular, consider description of required maintenance actions after failure of single LED segments.

6. Release to service
This SC is not suitable for release to service by the Pilot-owner.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Dec 14:48

I can see no reason not to use the shield for the low voltage synchronisation signal, this should avoid having to run any new wires down the wings

I had a similar issue installing a 406MHz ELT and re-using existing wiring. In that case the issue was avoided by choosing a different ELT but I would be careful with using the shield for something because the outside insulation is easily abraded especially where it passes through bulkheads etc and you can get a short.

This SC is not suitable for release to service by the Pilot-owner.

Does that apply to subsequent replacements also?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Point taken Peter…….. but as I said it’s still in the planning stage at the moment.

Peter wrote:

Does that apply to subsequent replacements also?

That particular passage doesn’t.

Sign in to add your message