Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

In the CS-STAN, the light is required to be ETSO.

Whelen lights, for example, are TSOd, not ETSOd (same number though). I see they have a generic EASA STC which is a conversion on an FAA one, which lists only US-common types. No TBs for example.

I seem to drown in a glass of water (French expression)

Re-read Airborne’s message : it seems to unlock a lot of possibilities, under the owner’s reponsibility.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 03 Sep 09:03
LFOU, France

Yes, this ETSO was discussed further back. Very little has an ETSO

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

In the CS-STAN, the light is required to be ETSO.

Not quite right. CS-STAN says “authorised in accordance with ETSO <…> or equivalent”, which is explicitly defined in CS.STAN.80:

‘ETSO equivalent’ an article is equivalent to an authorised ETSO article if it is grandfathered (e.g. JTSO) in accordance with Article 6 of Regulation (EU) No 748/2012, or if it has been accepted in accordance with provisions of international bilateral safety agreements.

This opens the door to acceptance of FAA TSOs. By the way, these ETSOs/TSOs equally apply to conventional lights.

Finally, the most popular replacement items – landing lights – are not subject to TSO or any other type of certification.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

So does that mean that the CS-STAN provision can be used to replace a PAR46 landing light with a non-TSO LED version, for example from AeroLites or Amazon?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I’m replacing my tractor bulbs with Aeroleds. The maintenance organization needs to do paperwork for this.

EBST, Belgium

@tmo, absolutely.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

On our PA46 we had a P36P2L LED landing light. And after about 3.5 years it apparently failed. Quite sobering the “thousands” of hours it should last. As it will only go on when the gear is out it probably just did a couple of hours total operation. Also the brightness of the thing was ok but not much better than a traditional 4596 250W bulb.

Are there any other options than buying a new P36P2L or going back to the cheap 4596?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Aeroled P36 HX (with the wigwag option).

T28
Switzerland

P36P2L sounds like the Whelen one

I installed AeroLEDs some years ago and they are still working great. My two lighs are on throughout most flights, even at altitude IFR.

I never installed the sync wire option because running that wire through is a load of hassle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Aeroled P36 HX

Very interesting. It seems to draw about 5 times as much power as the Whelen lamp so assuming similar efficiency it should be 5 times as bright which sounds good. But it still only draw 100W while the traditional bulb does 250W so maybe there is an even stronger LED unit out there which draws the full 250W?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message