Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting, and LED replacement bulbs now on CS-STAN issue 4

Darn, according to CS-SC031c it seems you are right, authorised without approval only for Day VFR only aircraft :-(

Airborne_Again wrote:

The lights do need to be (E)TSO’d

That’s the point, the website does not say they are TSO’d.

Last Edited by lionel at 26 Apr 11:29
ELLX

I’ve seen the white navigation lights, which are slightly (but noticably) brighter than the Whelen ones. And a fraction of the price.

I replaced some of my blown panel lights with their LED ones, and to be honest they are probably too bright (should have gone for warm white or maybe red)

I am tempted to replace my landing light with one of theirs, as the Parmetheus Plus isn’t much brighter than the incandescent GE4509.

I have access to a USA address so can’t comment on the import procedure.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

It is allowed by Standard Change CS-SC031c. No PMA or STC required. The lights do need to be (E)TSO’d unless the aircraft is day VFR. For day VFR you don’t even need a Form 1.

Boom. Great news indeed – agree, the CS-STAN reference (I need to get used to reference that doc before asking questions, sorry!), allows for day VFR only installation of Position Lights/Landing/Taxi lights without much consideration. Great news!
I think it used to be only landing and taxi lights allowed under CS-STAN?

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Does anybody know: what is a “day VFR aircraft” in this context? An aircraft that is restricted to day VFR by type certificate? Or an aircraft that is effectively used only for day VFR? That’s a huge difference. Shouldn’t they be more clear about it?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My aircraft, MS 893, has the definitions included in the Flight Manual, and I assume the related (included) minimum equipment list is the required reference point. Not sure.

Capitaine wrote:

I’ve seen the white navigation lights, which are slightly (but noticably) brighter than the Whelen ones. And a fraction of the price.

I replaced some of my blown panel lights with their LED ones, and to be honest they are probably too bright (should have gone for warm white or maybe red)

I am tempted to replace my landing light with one of theirs, as the Parmetheus Plus isn’t much brighter than the incandescent GE4509.

Thanks for those details. Yes, I will most likely order a box of Landing, Taxi and Position (Nav) lights from Aero-Lites, as soon as the Landing lights (Ultra X) are back in stock.. Last week it was the Nav (Pos) lights that were not available.. darn it.. ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 26 Apr 12:31
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Posts moved to existing thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why should one buy a landing, taxi and navigation lights for a day-VFR-only aircraft? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Germany

Why

Weight increase, elec consumption increase, ev speed reduction, looks as in coolness, recognition, and just in case emergency use?
I only have a taxi/landing light combo in the right leading edge of my day-VFR steed. My field is “closing” SS+30, and given some overcast, the landing light can sometimes assist for the landing and ensuing taxi.

Talking brands, I can only warmly recommend the Australian Flyleds for performance and top notch customer service.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Why should one buy a landing, taxi and navigation lights for a day-VFR-only aircraft?

For visibility (to others), plus the LED versions draw so little power they can be left on all the time one is flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Turning back to the question on the lookout for some product that is made in Europe I opted for Aveo as manufacturer and have a full lighting set (certified version) from them. Quite happy actually. The RedBaron ACL is incredibly bright and really small. The other lamps seem to be as good as others, that is Whelen. Definitely a big step up from the 50 year old bulbs that were installed before and the quality looks good to me.

Germany
Sign in to add your message