Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition for D3000 single shaft dual magneto engines

If you look at the total lack of interest here, it’s not hard to see why the GA engine industry struggles with selling what I would call “significant electronics”

We have done this in numerous threads but fairly obviously it is along the lines of

• with the backup power requirement, it is a “half-product”, and half-products almost never succeed
  • it is absolutely not a drop-in replacement
  • it has the same single point of failure as a real D3000, made worse by a load of electronics with its own MTBF
  • in the US – the only market which really matters – you can IRAN a D3000 for under $1k, which is about 1/7 of what this EI replacement costs
  • almost any spanner monkey can IRAN a D3000 in his workshop, but this product can’t be touched by anybody but the mfg ( → lots of suspicion in the marketplace, and historically for good reason)
  • have to factor in the panel chopping for the battery indicator and other wiring, or a few k plus for a backup alternator, so you are quickly past the $7k

and the individual dual mag case is not much different; the “proper solution” is not currently certified.

The magazine review is wholly positive, but they need to be, for advertiser participation reasons The US Flyer magazine was even worse…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, there is not really a total lack of interest, I can’t wait to install it when my next D3000 overhaul is due.

It would be great to see it installed in a Socata in real world meanwhile. In my case the N registration really helps.

A real drop in replacement as the Avydine IFD navigator was for Garmin GNS nav unit would have been better.

LRIA, Romania

In a TB you probably need to install the backup battery because the 2nd alternator route is complicated. I did that as a field approval some years ago. Obviously one then gets the benefit of a 2nd alternator anyway, whereas the backup battery is useless for anything else. But this is hard to do in Europe; you need to have contacts…

I think Electroair spent too many years on this and this will be yet another product which is 10-20 years too late. You would never be allowed to post this on the Socata owners group but too many TB20/21 owners (the others with a D3000 mag are unlikely to be spending much money) are either selling up to buy an SR22 or selling up to buy a boat.

Also the power arrangement is going to get poor market acceptance.

Administrator

On a Lycoming O360-A1AD, grounding one side of the Bendix mag and replacing it with electronic coil ignition triggered by magnets in the “flywheel” seems a bit of a no-brainer. We get ignition timing varied according to MP and RPM, while eliminating a single point of possible failure.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I am sure they could have done a dual redundant direct D3000 replacement which needs no external power.

That would sell.

Administrator

Somewhat related: I noticed that ENAC has done their own ElectroAir STC for the TB-10

(EDIT: Compression made the screenshot a bit illegible, try searching the PDF)

I tried contacting a maintainance engineer from ENAC about it who’s email I still had around, but did not get a response – I guess they are not super keen on commercializing this as a goverment owned entity.

Last Edited by slider at 18 Oct 09:19
Germany

I did it:

Administrator

O360-A1AD is not part of the engine list?
Edit: the good one:

Last Edited by greg_mp at 18 Oct 15:05
LFMD, France

So somehow ENAC pushed an STC through EASA (for their own TB10 fleet?) but nobody else can make use of this STC?

That is just weird.

Administrator

Of course, but they can just provide the paper, which is at least something, better than nothing?

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message