Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

There is a big installation labour saving if replacing a GNS430/W. Just plug it in, configure it, sign off in the logbook, and send off the 337+STC to Oklahoma.

That’s on N-reg

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s more expensive, but I think it’s better (touchscreen AND knobs for all features) and if you count the installation – it’s actually cheaper.

Mooney_Driver: Yes, sold both 430s

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Jun 08:16

Someone in the USA has just posted (on a US site)

From the moment I pulled up until I was ready to leave was about 4 hours for all the above installed and signed off!

Obviously, not much in the way of new features could have been installed, but you can’t argue with the money saving.

Administrator

I have today incidentally bumped into an Avidyne dealer and mentioned my long term plan to install 2 × IFD540.

He said he won’t touch Avidyne stuff now because they have no money and have too many problems (bordering on non-usable) which put him in an impossible position with his customers.

He sells Garmin. The GTN boxes had loads of issues too, apparently, but are mostly sorted now.

Administrator

No. The IFDs are fine now with the new sw version. You should send Dave Fetherston of Nexair Avionics in MA. an eMail. He has installed at least 100 of them now, in Cirruses, and they all work great, which is what the pilost who bought them confirmed on COPA.

I went for two GNS430’s, because it saved me € 15 K, and really for my 100 hours … the GNS430W can fly all the approaches and once you know them they are fine. Good enough for me. And: If i decide i want them, now it’s just a slide in replacement, 10 minutes. And I can always sell two GNS430Ws

Only in Cirruses and all in the USA?

Administrator

I only know about Cirrus installation, but i know a german installation too, that works. You should contact Dave, he is a very nice and honest guy.

There are Swiss installations also and he loves his box. I’ll have mine soon

LSZH

Flyer59 wrote:

He has installed at least 100 of them now, in Cirruses, and they all work great

No way, not possible, not from Avidyne, nor other brands. There will always be failing units at such numbers.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I can only tell what I hear. I just know that there are no complaints on COPA, but will look closer

Sign in to add your message