Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

At FL420 I would expect to see a lot of ADS-B

but it is in controlled airspace, all-RVSM, 100% radar control, zero piston or turboprop traffic, so is there much need for collision avoidance?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

What are the make/models of the GPS and Transponder?
Garmin GTN 650 and Trig TT31.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Garmin GTN 650 and Trig TT31.

Check out this STC: Peregrine STC SA00744DE

KUZA, United States

Unfortunately the Trig/Peregrine STCs haven’t been validated with EASA so aren’t currently any good in Europe. By contrast Garmin did validate their GTX3x5 AML STC and also included the option to upgrade an existing GTX33/330 to ES and connect to the appropriate GPS source.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

NCYankee wrote:

Check out this STC: Peregrine STC SA00744DE
Thanks!

wigglyamp wrote:

Unfortunately the Trig/Peregrine STCs haven’t been validated with EASA so aren’t currently any good in Europe.
Isn’t there now a simplified procedure for validating a FAA STC for a single aircraft?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Dec 21:31
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the aircraft is N registry, the STC applies. The FAA has required an STC for installation of ADS-B Out systems, but now the policy has become much easier. See the current FAA ADS-B Out Install Policy 3-2-2016

Installation of ADS-B Out equpment on other registry may not be as stringent as it is on US registry.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 27 Dec 21:57
KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

The FAA has required an STC for installation of ADS-B Out systems, but now the policy has become much easier.

Good thing. When I asked Garmin about adding my type for the GTX345 Approved Model List, the answer was “a field approval should not be too difficult”, and of course that also applies to thousands of aircraft that will not likely ever be on any ADS-B out STC AML.

Peter wrote:

but it is in controlled airspace, all-RVSM, 100% radar control, zero piston or turboprop traffic, so is there much need for collision avoidance?

Well actually at FL430 it isn’t RVSM, but I don’t think I mentioned collision avoidance. Of course ADS-B will allow for far more accurate radar performance including reduced separation when fully implemented.

EGTK Oxford

NCYankee wrote:

If the aircraft is N registry, the STC applies.
The aircraft is SE-reg.

Sign in to add your message