Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

This one does for example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SkyEcho also has an onboard barometer

SkyEcho 2 includes an integrated baro altimeter. The altimeter correlates cabin pressure altitude to altitudes of nearby traffic to give you more accurate relative altitude alerts.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The altimeter correlates cabin pressure altitude

That could be 100-200ft off the external pressure…

Administrator

That SkyEcho looks pretty cool. But that ADS-B out on 1090 mHz is useless when already equipped with a mode S transponder. I’m afraid you can’t use that function over mainland Europe. The UAT freq band utility would be nice to have however.

EBST, Belgium

IMHO fragmenting EC (electronic conspicuity) into the two segments (some on 1090 and some on UAT) is just going to kill this whole business, which is already way too fragmented.

Administrator

You can switch off the ADSB out. You can choose to use the UAT frequency for weather if available, or FLARM at a very low cost. I have the unit sitting on my desk right now – all I need is for time and weather to coincide to go flying.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 06 Mar 14:53
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’m interested in this device. @Dimme already made a review but still had some issues. Eagerly awaiting his next review since the firmware upgrade…

EBST, Belgium

@airways the company reached out and they said they will send me a new SkyEcho 2 due to errors with the one I got, maybe the firmware update wasn’t enough? Something more major hardware related? Anyway, I will try the new one out once the weather decides to stop raining. (it can be a very long while)

Last Edited by Dimme at 06 Mar 15:05
ESME, ESMS

Thank you Dimme. Looking forward to your findings.

EBST, Belgium

I recently got a GTX335 to replace my ancient (and dying) GTX320. At least here the WAAS GPS antenna has to be bought separately.

I would say it’s worth getting the encoder – I’m getting rid of a half-shoebox sized thing that probably weighs a lb or two with the minuscule encoder which basically sits on the back of the transponder’s tray. I’m also getting rid of a load of untidy wiring in the process, too.

Fortunately I don’t need an avionics shop to install it under the LAA system.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message