Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen generators

Has all the interest in these generators died out?

The one guy I knew who flew with the Sequal one (the ex US military hospital batch in Italy which ended up on Ebay for £1000 a unit) has sold the SR22, and I don’t know of anybody else who used these regularly.

The main problem I think is the power required; something like 15-20A at 28V.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m using the Oxyfly in my Bonanza. I find it very useful, because I don’t hesitate to put the oxygen on when i.e. flying at night in lower altitudes, because I it is always available. There are two different options one can buy. The more powerful one will deliver enough O2 without oximisers up to 18.000 ft for four people with the oximisers it is no event to go higher although you should use a mask instead of the canulas then. BTW: My Bonananza has no turbo so no need for a mask as I’m not able to fly that high.

EDDS , Germany

Can anyone up-date this subject with some more PIREPs ?

Thanks!

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@Michael As mentioned above, I do have the Oxyfly and do use it regularly. Yesterday, there was an outside temperature of -26 degrees, so to add an additional not mentioned point: the O2 produced by the generator is not as cold as the O2 out of a bottle.

EDDS , Germany

The oxygen out of a bottle in the cockpit should be a similar temperature to the cockpit, by the time it has come out through the metal mass of the 1st stage reg, the demand reg, and the pipes.

There will be some cooling due to the initial expansion but I have never noticed it to be “cool” when I breathe it.

The Oxyfly may well produce warmer gas because it compresses it a bit to get it through the zeolite filter to remove (most of) the nitrogen.

Administrator

I looked at the wt and aside from the bulk the wt of 50lbs is excessive for most light GA planes. If I fly with 4 plus 90 gal in the tanks there is no wt for luggage. I also have TKS which would be used if flying above 10K even in the summer.

KHTO, LHTL

@Michael I flew with Inogen G2, mentioned in earlier posts, for about 6 months. It was in a DA40 up to FL160. I’m not sure how many hours, but maybe 50 total. It worked okay. I recommend keeping a spare bottle.

LPFR, Poland

I might be interested in flying above FL 100 or 120… I’ve read this thread.
I am looking for something lightweight for the Bonanza. Is the Mountain High still state of the art ?
How many liters do I need for i.e. a flight of 2 hours with two persons, in FL 150 ? I have NA Bonanza so FL 180 is the limit anyway.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Feb 15:07
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

They have a cylinder chart here:
http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/component/attachments/download/608

Times are for 1 person so divide by 2 for 2!

Is the Mountain High still state of the art ?

I think that nobody else is making a demand regulator which works properly… the old Precise Oxygen mechanical one was a piece of crap if you wanted to go above about FL150. A horrible company to deal with too (see stuff here) compared to MH whose service is really good.

I might be interested in flying above FL 100 or 120

How much higher though. I wonder whether these “nitrogen stripping” devices work at “IFR SEP top end” levels like FL180-200. I regard that capability as essential for when one wants to be above the wx. Most of them appear to be intended for airliner cabins as the ceiling i.e. 8000ft or so.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message