Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

achimha wrote:

Which means it would give you exactly nothing over your current setup which already has TAS and is capable of ADS-B Out…

It adds the ADS-B In capability when the target aircraft is equipped. It re-uses the existing Skywatch antenna. It provides an internal WAAS GPS without navigation capability, but the moving map could be used in a pinch.

KUZA, United States

It would also add ADSB-out in my case since my GTX330 is not an ES version. A small additional feature is the USB charging port.

Alexis wrote:

A small additional feature is the USB charging port.

Something I would never use. Too risky to burn something in the expensive certified device. I’ve seen so many USB charging ports break over time. Also there are about 200 different USB charging standards with each becoming obsolete after latest 2 years. Much better to install a cigarette lighter socket somewhere and plugin in the USB charging adapter of the day.

I believe indeed only the 9000+(D) is useful in European airspace it offers TAS (based on a skywatch TAS antenna NY164 directional antenna ) and combined ADS-B traffic

Indeed:

However there is very little on their website about this feature. Virtually everything to do with traffic detection is based on ADS-B. So I wonder whether this option even exists an what it looks like? It won’t be in any of the small boxes they show e.g.

It’s going to be something with a lot more RF connectors… and probably bigger.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No additional box and both ADSB traffic and conventional traffic, and both displayed on the MFD,

Achim: Yes, I guess you are right. I have two USBs in the center console anyway.

You can remove the Skywatch processor (in case you have one) and save some serious weight. The Directional Antenna has three wires which need to go somehow into the unit if you dont have it …
Skywatch Antenna

EBST

Yes, that Skywatch TR497 is really a heavy brick. Works fine, but as I said: If it fails again I will go with the LYNX.

No additional box and both ADSB traffic and conventional traffic,

Yes, that Skywatch TR497 is really a heavy brick

What is the sum total of this system, in hardware terms (pictures?), to get active TAS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I found the Antenna alone is around 2 AMU
Skywatch Antenna

EBST

No idea (i have the Skywatch antennaI) but the LYNX NGT9000+ including the GPS antenna and tray is around € 9000.

Sign in to add your message