Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 Seat Bets Overhaul: 10 years

Hi,

About two years ago we had to replace seatbelts and reels in our 182S model. Nothing wrong with old ones but hey they said it needs to be replaced.

The new ones went in, and 2 year later they are shot. Dont know what make, but they are cheap looking, very thin, and constantly getting tangled. They will need to be replaced again…

At this stage we would have been better of with the original cessna belts then the stuff thats in it now..

Regards,

Evo400

WoW Evo – Never heard of belts wearing out in 24 months ! So can you please share with us the supplier ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael – I am sorry for having betrayed your words, I understood that the exchange was mandatory in my case too, N or not.
To be honest, the chapter 4 of the MM, “TCDS”… Are rather abstract to me – I really need to ask my CAMO to see it with my eyes to become less stupid !

Rewebbing may be an option, I need to discuss that with my CAMO, don’t know if they can accept that.

I wondered if I could contact AMSAFE directly, to ask for a complete rebuild. From what I have read, REBUILD is better than OVERHAUL and equivalent to EXCHANGE. But I may be wrong.

Old discussion on PPRune about Cessna Seatbelt Lifetime

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 10 Jun 13:21

No problem Alex, the devil is in the details !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael, I will take some photos and update the info as soonest I’m back at the airfield.
Regards, Phil

Evo400

The new EASA document CS-STAN will let you fit seat belts from another manufactrer without too much trouble, as most of these are subject to "on condition " maintenance it will result in a reduction in costs for the private owner.

For those operating aircraft for flight training I dont see is being much help as the seat belts usualy need changing before the ten year limit.

Hi, Just to getting back in relation to seat belts.

They are now being sent back due to serious defects and poor quality of webbing material.

They were supplied by Gadringer- Germany. AMSAFE agent.

Also EASA issued an AD due to so many seat belts failing and requiring early replacements.

Last Edited by Evo400 at 13 Nov 10:51
Evo400

I think that seatbelt overhauls are one of the most stupid overhauls …

Why do seat belts in cars (used 1000 x as much) with the same seat belts (material) have no “seat belt overhauls”

Flyer59 wrote:

Why do seat belts in cars (used 1000 x as much) with the same seat belts (material) have no “seat belt overhauls”

Very simple. If I’m a certified aircraft seatbelt company and Cessna/Cirrus/Piper negotiate a deal I will propose something very simple:

1) You can buy an assembly for $2000, continuous airworthiness instructions will say “check for damage every year”
or
2) You can buy the same assembly for $1000, continuous airworthiness instructions will say “replace every 12 years”

Why would Cirrus/Cessna/etc. ever choose option 1? It’s an extra cost that is entirely imposed on the operator. They wouldn’t sell one aircraft less because nobody makes a decision based on the seatbelt replacement interval.

So the answer is: because they can. It’s aviation. Car tyre manufacturers would love to legally require us to replace them every 2 years…

Tires? I only replace a/c tires when they’re worn … (soon)

I know that the reason is “because they can”, it was was more a rethorical question …

Sign in to add your message