Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 Seat Bets Overhaul: 10 years

Should this now be covered by the new EASA rules for Part M under Minimum Inspection Program.

You can tell your maintenance company you want to defer the replacement with a yearly inspection..

I also read somewhere that there are companies around that have approvals to overhaul seat belts. At a fraction of the cost.

Southend, United Kingdom

As an update, after several inquiries, my two options are:
- exchange for new
- overhaul by AMSAFE. which will be €1000 less, but ground the aircraft for 3-4 weeks.

I guess that under N-reg, I may have avoided that time limit, but am not sure about it.

@trevor_s
Could you give me some company name able to overhaul ?
I found my way with AMSAFE but still very expansive.

trevor_s wrote:

Should this now be covered by the new EASA rules for Part M under Minimum Inspection Program.

You can tell your maintenance company you want to defer the replacement with a yearly inspection..

The MIP currently only applies to ELA1 aircraft.

The only thing making this seat belt replacement a requirement is the maintenance programme which, EASA says, must be followed. So the simply answer is to remove it from the maintenance programme. On the G register, you are allowed to consider the Cessna SIDs on single engine aircraft but not carry them out so apply that logic to the seat belts. Your CAMO needs to agree with this but it is what most UK CAMOs do.

EASA issued an AD in relation to these seatbelts and so many of them failing due to poor overhaul and cheap webbing material.

I will now seek compensation from overhauling agent, it is an absolute disgrace that after spending so much these seatbelts aren’t fit for a wheelbarrow, never mind an aircraft!

I will post the link when I get home.

Last Edited by Evo400 at 18 Nov 19:42
Evo400

We should never surrender before reaching the original source of mandatory stuff.
It appears, in my case, that a mistake was made about the necessity to change the belts.

Mailing to Cessna and AMSAFE allowed me to clarify that point and confirm that the belts installed in my plane are not concerned by the 10 years time limit, which concerns others seat belts PN, also installed on 182S/T.

The parts numbers of the belts in my aircraft are the following:
7035-1-021-8105 SEATBELT AIRBAG, PILOT
7035-1-011-8105 SEATBELT AIRBAG, CO-PILOT
7035-2-011-8105 SEATBELT AIRBAG, REAR LH
7035-2-021-8105 SEATBELT AIRBAG, REAR RH
I am struggling to understand why my CAMO wants me to change all the belts next year (10 years), whereas the belts are in excellent chape (the aircraft is 800hrs total time).
So my question is to know if the parts numbers listed above are time limited to 10 years, by an Airworthiness Limitation Item (ALI) or an Instruction for continued Airworthiness (ICA)

I got two answers.

One from Cessna:
Good Day Alexandre,
In looking at the information below that you provided on your seat belts, it appears to me that you have the AMSAFE inflatable seatbelt system installed as you say that you have replaced the inflator and the electronic module assembly. So I wanted to point out to you that in chapter 5 of the MM it calls for a 10 year replacement for seat belts of the following part numbers:
B. Equipment/Furnishings (Chapter 25)
(1) 504516-401-XXXX Restraint System, Pilot’s Left Hand or Right Hand Auto Adjust – Replace every 10 years.
(2) 504851-401-XXXX Restraint System, Pilot’s Left Hand or Right Hand Manual Adjust – Replace every 10 years.
(3) 504516-403-XXXX Restraint System, Aft Bench Left Hand or Right Hand Auto Adjust – Replace every 10 years.
(4) 504851-403-XXXX Restraint System, Aft Bench Left Hand or Right Hand Manual Adjust – Replace every 10 years.
(5) 2000031-09-201 Restraint Assembly, Pilot’s Seat – Replace every 10 years.
(6) 2000031-10-201 Restraint Assembly, Copilot’s Seat – Replace every 10 years.
(7) 2000031-11-201 Restraint Assembly, Right Rear Seat – Replace every 10 years.
(8) 2000031-12-201 Restraint Assembly, Left Rear Seat – Replace every 10 years
The AMSAFE inflatable seat belts are the part numbers listed here, and are not concerned by the time limit:
1 7035-1-021-8105 .AAIR V23 SEATBELT AIRBAG PILOT TAN 182 REFER TO NOTE 1 V0FWE1 81504 & ON
-1A 7035-1-021-8105. AAIR V23 SEATBELT AIRBAG PILOT TAN T182 REFER TO NOTE 1 V0FWE1 08358 & ON
With the information here you can see that the 10 year life limit does not apply to the seat belts that you have installed on your airplanes. As such you should not need an NTO letter from Cessna. The belts are replaced on condition. Thank you,

One from AMSAFE:
Hello,
The seat belts are not expired parts, as long as webbing is not frayed and airbag stitches not undone.
It may be in the Cessna’s log book that may have an expiration date of 10 years.
I have attach a Service Letter extending the inflator to 12 years.
The EMA 508358-409 or 508358-421 has an expiration date of 7 years, and needs repair

Thanks to AMSAFE, I also learned that inflators time limit was set 12 years instead of 7 then 10.
I was sent the SB (SB507592-401-25-01 Issue 2) I can share if one needs.

In the end, my belts won’t have to be changed which is a great relief.
I thank you all for your help.

Alexandre.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 22 Dec 11:50

Good on you Alexandre !

Now the question is : What ELSE has the CAMO got wrong ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I am sure, nothing else Michael !

Has there been any change with the new Part M light regarding 10 year Cessna seat belt replacement?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Part-M Light has not entered into force yet. Unfortunately it will probably not happen before beginning of 2018. I have not read the entire thread. Was this a service bulletin?

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message