Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B Weather for Europe (merged)

Peter wrote:

The thread has diverged into wx delivery over links not related to ADS-B (I might clean it up) but still nobody has posted the cost of this UAT proposition. Obviously it can’t be free.

The broadcasted data is not encrypted. Nobody can stop you from receiving the data for free.

ESME, ESMS

That’s very interesting. What is being broadcast? It does suggest they will be transmitting a UK-wide wx image (presumably radar; sferics and IR are “special interest” stuff ) and then the georeferencing is done in the client device.

How are tafs and metars handled? You could transmit all the UK ones continuously, I guess.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not entirely sure about the details of the protocol, but this is a free open source decoder if you feel like taking a closer look to the implementation:

https://github.com/mutability/dump978

ESME, ESMS

That’s really interesting. It seems to use the US NEXRAD implementation. AFAIK that is a radar image.

I wonder how tafs and metars are handled? I am told all of Europe would be only about 50k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The obvious choice would be to emulate NEXRAD.

Even if only the UK implement this system (and that is already a big question mark), it would be useful as the client infrastructure is widespread and inexpensive. It will be difficult to get all of Europe to go for it because there is no suitable EU mandate. The UAT frequency is not available and has a different status in each country. The fact that the US are just one country and that both aviation and frequency allocation are federal, make this a lot easier.

Sample output for uplink data from the dump978 decoder:

https://pastebin.com/jKW3zjEa

ESME, ESMS

You can see they have many different types of report messages: WINDS, METAR, TAF, TAF.AMD, PIREP, SPECI. Also some binary graphics data (might try to decode that later).

ESME, ESMS

This is what the NEXRAD binary data decodes to:

Data sourced from the provided sample file since I cannot receive UAT in Sweden (yet).

ESME, ESMS

There is a quite informative article on this in this month’s Aviation et Pilote.
In particular the UAT frequency (978MHz) could easily be made available even though it is in the block of military frequencies. The US MIL has the same block and UAT is available.

ESMK, Sweden

My understanding is that UAT 978 does not interfere with DME same channel frequency and coexists with military.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message