Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B Weather for Europe (merged)

From the last SD newsletter (so no secret I guess) :

We currently have one low-powered transmitter broadcasting with a 15nm radius around our offices, but in the new year we will have an additional two transmitters elsewhere in the south of the UK hopefully delivering some joined-up coverage.

This is hugely exciting stuff, and it’ll be easy for us to turn on more weather products as the trial grows and progresses. If the data broadcast proves useful to lots of people it will help us make a case for rolling out a network of ground stations. Already some other European countries have expressed an interest in offering this too.

So there is hope !
I think change today happens like this :
Nobody wants to move → some start-up (or grown-up) makes a breakthrough at a particular place → once everybody sees it works, it gets bigger and bigger.

Regulators are not bad guys, they just don’t want to be the first to do something new.
Then, everybody follows and say they were among the ones to support the initative .

LFOU, France

From here

Does anyone know if the real-time weather/airfield info functions of the NGT9000+ work in the UK?

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

jgmusic wrote:

Does anyone know if the real-time weather/airfield info functions of the NGT9000+ work in the UK?

Nope – discussion here : https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenance-avionics/7668-why-we-dont-have-adsb-uat-in-europe

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thanks Michael.

Dammit…

jgmusic

If there was, there would be a hefty subscription to somebody compiling the data, paying for it, and the Iridium satellite link subscription because there is no commercial data channel on ADS-B over here. Also there is no standard machine-readable source of airfield data in Europe…. it would be quite a job, it would be duplicating what a pilot does pre-flight for the most part, and is seems clear there are almost zero installations of this product over here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

jgmusic wrote:

Dammit…

Yeah, really sucks this.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I don’t see why the Lynx shouldn’t receive UAT weather in Europe, a least from the current UK trial:
https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106968

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Yes, it’s a start but we’re still a long way off the level of coverage needed!

jgmusic

The last thread on the UK wx over UAT project is here.

I think the primary audience can get an internet connection on a smartphone, since most UK OCAS flight is low enough

The primary audience is also running Skydemon on a tablet, not a panel mounted box which is never likely to have its software modified to pick up this data source.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry Peter, probably being dim, but how does a smartphone internet connection help with wx coverage on the NGT9000+ or others? Can the connection be sync’d with the unit, or are you saying pilots can simply use an internet connection to get other real-time wx updates?

I have often lost mobile data connection when in-flight (even at typical OCAS levels) so I’m not sure it’s all that reliable…?

Last Edited by jgmusic at 18 Feb 19:12
jgmusic
Sign in to add your message