Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SIDS in Euroland?

I live in Australia and operate a 1995 Mooney 20J here. Unfortunately our regulator (CASA) is working toward making various manufacturer “recommendations” mandatory for all aircraft including private aircraft. They have recently made Cessna SIDS mandatory and I understand that this is also the case in Germany. Given the fleets of both countries are tiny (9,000/6,000) compared with the USA (150,000) this makes no sense to me as there is no evidence of airframe failure being a significant cause of accidents.
Is anyone aware of other countries in Europe where SIDS is mandatory? CASA claim that it is also the case in Spain, Czech Republic and Cyprus – is that true or not?
This trend is not (yet) a problem for Mooneys – as the factory believe that any emerging issues can be detected during a proper annual inspection. However, CASA are also looking at making other manufacturer “recommendations” (e.g. 6 year prop overhauls and 12 year engine bulk strips) mandatory for all aircraft- such a move will cause us real problems.
regards
John Hillard
Mount Beauty (YMBT), Australia

YMBT

It seems that CASA is especially unfriendly. Even unfriendlier than many of the European civil aviation authorities. Why is that? I’ve always seen Australians as free loving and in favor of less regulation. Their frontier past would suggest they’d take more of a US individualism approach to regulations.

Well I spent alot of time and effort researching a bogus FAA AD on Cessna 210 wing spar caps that had originated with CASA.

What I learned is that there are hundreds of “out-back” flying operations that are operating seriously shagged-out planes and maintaining them to African standards …

So, it appears that CASA is trying to real in all of these rouge operations.

That is my personal WAG based on anecdotal experience.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

AdamFrisch wrote:

I’ve always seen Australians as free loving and in favor of less regulation.

You haven’t been there much then, Adam. Probably the most over-regulated country I’ve ever been to. And yes, I do also have a – lapsed – CASA license…..

I’ve never been, 172driver. Worked with quite a few.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message