Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Modification to TB20 rear compartment for carrying skis

I have read about this a long time ago. It enables long objects to go into the void in the back of the hull.

How could it be done?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would W&B be okay on this?

Edit: Okay, I just read “for carrying six” and was astonished by the volume and capacity of the baggage compartment… Still, the question would be the first to assess.

Last Edited by mh at 20 Oct 08:19
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Peter wrote:

How could it be done?

Cut a hole

Seriously, it all depends on the aircraft and the bulkhead cover in question.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Obviously, one would modify the rear hatch, with a hole in it. But then you need some kind of tube, about 30cm diameter, to extend from that into the rear hull section, and this tube would need to be supported, properly too because if it comes loose it will bugger the control linkages And the pitch and pitch-trim servos…

I don’t think w&b would be much of an issue. Skis are very light.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Skis are very light.

That’s about 14lbs per pair at a very rearward station. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t noticeable

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

if it comes loose it will bugger the control linkages And the pitch and pitch-trim servos…

And that will be the moment you’ll change your opinion concerning the CAPS

EDLE

Would be a TAPS or SAPS then, wouldn’t it?

Peter wrote:

I don’t think w&b would be much of an issue. Skis are very light.

The thing about modifying certified aircraft is, that “I think” isn’t the best way of fulfilling the MOC “Engineering judgement”. So one would expect to do at least some toying around with the actual figures and possible stations.

But you are on an N-Reg, so I don’t know the procedures for your plane en detail.

Last Edited by mh at 20 Oct 09:14
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

1.63m skis fit well into the back of a TB20, it turns out

The 4th seat is lost anyway, due to the life raft and the oxygen cylinder; also one cannot carry four people and full fuel unless they are really small people.

Administrator

some car makers offer a “skisack” that goes throu the rear seat armrest in a car oviously from the rear the sack enters the pax room maybe you could modify such a “sack” and install it so that oncethe armrest is folded down the sack can be “filled” backwards

http://www.rad-ab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Rad-Ab-Skoda-Winter-Zubehoer-5-1024×745.jpg

fly2000

How about just taking your shoes and rent a pair of skis. Can’t imagine all the hassle and risk can be worth a few days rent of skis.

EHLE Lelystad
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message