Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lithium battery in aircraft

tmo wrote:

Both are without VAT.

How do you avoid VAT on shipments from the US?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There’s no VAT if it is for export. EU import VAT is on top.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ultranomad wrote:

How do you avoid VAT on shipments from the US?

You do not. I meant to say that all prices I quoted are baselined as net. VAT is different in various EU countries, so I felt that net prices will be more representative.

The VAT and possible customs fees (which can be lower than the cost of paperwork Polish customs ask for) are due at import time, as Snoopy wrote.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

There should not be import duty on the battery if it is shipped as an AIRCRAFT PART.

Well, there is this

Anyway, any importer will absorb this stuff and price it in.

Sandelving.de (trading as “Aircraft Spruce EU”) claim to container ship the stuff i.e. sea freight. That is many times cheaper than air freight. I know; I’ve been doing this for 40 years That said, there is a huge variation in pricing if you have a proper dig around. Even a given company can do amazing offers e.g. DHL can charge anything from €3000 to €600 to ship an IO540 to the US, acocrding to what sort of corporate discount structure your company is on. There are also “second tier couriers” who look and work just like the big names but are several times cheaper, and take a week instead of 24hrs. There are all sorts of things going on out there, and there are shipping comparison websites.

Anyway, practically nobody is going to go to the trouble of personal import, so unless somebody over here decides to ship them in bulk and retail them, and don’t try to complete and totally rip people off, I can’t see any big adoption.

Some feedback as to reliability would be most interesting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With EarthX arriving on the scene, there seems to now be some real movement for certified aircraft:
EarthX lithium batteries
Aviation Consumer article

True-Blue pricing, at $5’000+, won’t get any takers in the SEP market. But the EarthX pricing being <$1’000 is becoming competitive with the Concorde and Textron classics given that those prices have risen significantly over the past few years. The EarthX batteries have some significant performance, weight, and maintenance advantages, although initial installation adds some one-time costs. One disadvantage is that they are considered dangerous goods for shipping, so will need to be sourced within Europe rather than directly from US distributors like Aircraft Spruce.

Last Edited by chflyer at 05 Oct 08:57
LSZK, Switzerland

I wonder if they will ever bother with UK or EASA approval.

And if so when.

Airteam.eu list them on their site, albeit with a 4wk delivery. Reasonable price, though.
Unlike the Gill / Concord swap, I guess this change is difficult without STC…
Any thoughts ? ;-)

EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

Any thoughts ? ;-)

I’m not sure about big lithium ion battery in the air… It’s classified as dangerous goods and yet you constantly fly it up…

Lithium iron

Last Edited by Emir at 05 Oct 18:35
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This little battery has been used for a long time in RV community, I haven’t heard about a single fire / smoke accident.

Poland

This may be an interesting approach to providing power to the essentials in certain cases of electrical system failures (alternator, etc): https://www.tcwtech.com/product/integrated-battery-back-up-system-ibbs/
I believe these are required for a dual electronic magneto (SureFly) installation on airframes without a dual battery setup.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message