Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS question - replacing a Trimble 2000

I think for € 380 you get the updates every 14 days for one year

every 28 days for a year is my subscription.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes, sorry, every every 28 days. But that price should be for one year. VFR I would only update it ince a year, and I always git that for around € 100

@ Peter how is your feeling for a KLN94 as I think you useit in ur TB20 i am asking as I see some of them at ebay for arround 2000 euro
how does it work if i would want to change to a european database and also any idea about cost

beside reading all these helpfull answers I may end up as bosco wrote to keep it as as and continue to fly with the heading bug maybe i also find someone to give me a “practical” tuition for my trimble so i get a better use out of it? should have hopefully still most airfield etc in the database for doing a simple flightplan in the gps again always VFR

fly2000

Get a Garmin 796 or used 696. They are WAAS/GPS, have charts, flight planning, touch interface (796) for under $1200 USD

USFlyer wrote:

Get a Garmin 796 or used 696

They are great sets, I do own a 695 actually. Trouble is, you can’t connect those to the autopilot in Europe. Not sure if you can in the US.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Trouble is, you can’t connect those to the autopilot in Europe. Not sure if you can in the US

They can be used as a nav source in a glass panel set-up for Dynon or Garmin. The autopilot and Garmin is connected to the glass-panel and the route is flown as programmed into the 696/796.

The original post sounded like you were just looking for a GPS nav capability, not an entire glass-panel setup.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 12 Dec 17:03

The KLN94 is a good quality box but it

• has max 20 waypoints per route (probably not an issue for vfr but frequently annoying)
  • has no vhf radio
  • cannot be repaired at all (by Honeywell)
  • has no arinc429 output (irrelevant to VFR and to most IFR in practice)
  • database does not contain any curved segments (irrelevant to VFR)

So in summary it is a good vfr box.

I have a spare one and will one day be selling both, but not yet. I am surprised they go for so much.

Can any handheld drive a certified AP, practically let alone legally?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have seen a handheld Garmin, maybe a 295, connected to drive an autopilot of some older kind, like a Century something. Legal? Most likely not.

ESTL

USFlyer wrote:

They can be used as a nav source in a glass panel set-up for Dynon or Garmin. The autopilot and Garmin is connected to the glass-panel and the route is flown as programmed into the 696/796.

I understand that this works in the US. In Europe, you can’t connect any non TSO’d panel mounted device to something in the panel like an AP on certified planes. There are several planes which do have even airgizmo or other mounts for the 495 or 695’s but they can not interact with other avionics.

Sign in to add your message