Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reducing GPS database costs

Yes, I offer to temporarily transfer my database subscription to someone who will compensate my GTN database update cost.

Cycle 1713 is effective from December 7th, that’s why I specified 10% discount.

Kyiv International Airport, UKKK

Are you sure that Jeppesen will play ball? I’d be surprised.

Maybe you should offer the whole GTN rather than just the card? I think that might work, if any configuration parameters are changed.

But a lot of effort for a small return.

Last Edited by Timothy at 09 Dec 12:18
EGKB Biggin Hill

The GTN database subscription is tied to the System ID which is a unique identifier stored in the configuration module located in the GTN aircraft harness connector. If a downloaded database doesn’t match the system ID (which is used when initially setting up the subscription) then it won’t load. Swapping GTNs between aircraft won’t help as the ID is tied to the aircraft, not to the specific GTN unit.

You can find the system ID by going to : Home>System>System Status and it!s shown in the top box along with the unit serial number.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 09 Dec 12:40
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

So, wigglyamp explains why this isn’t going to “just work”.

It is interesting for me to read this because it more precisely answers the old question which nobody could answer before: how Garmin manage to use non-hacked flash cards for the GTN databases*. Going back up this thread, post #5 explains in outline terms why you cannot move database cards between GTN boxes, and post #8 explains why you can move database cards between GNS boxes. Presumably the GNS cards are hacked cards, like the KLN94 cards which can also be moved between KLN94 boxes. Hacked cards use a nonstandard format or file system which ensures they cannot be copied using conventional methods.

The database sharing proposed by Bogdan_aviaDB would work with the older products – if there is sufficient trust between the parties i.e. will the “borrower” return the card after the agreed # of cycles

* Presumably Avidyne do the same.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another sometimes unknown-to-users issue relates to blank cards and one-off databases. You can buy a one-off update for which you don’t need a subscription and hence don’t require the system ID. This could potentially allow the database to be loaded to multiple units. To prevent this, the GTN writes the system ID to the SD card the first time it’s inserted into a unit, so once again, it ties that database back to the same airframe. It’s important therefore in a fleet situation not to mix up data cards between aircraft, or to reformat (FAT32) before downloading a new database.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

What prevents you making a copy of the card before its initial insertion into a GTN, and using clones of it in other GTN boxes?

Administrator

There are some pretty good SD card cloning programs available. I use them to leapfrog. I think that they would work in this context, but would we advocate stealing in any other?

Can we have affronted threads about the theft of Rotax engines from English farms and gliders from Danish airfields while talking about stealing Jepp data?

Do we do moral absolutes?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Moral Absolutes are outside the scope of moderation since I cannot get my head around it

But I think there is a difference between discussing database security, and advocating theft of engines

I doubt anybody would have a problem with transferring some cycles from your database to somebody else, while your plane is grounded.

With Honeywell’s KLN94 scheme, it is common to email them and ask for an extension of the 18-month overall time limit. They normally give you a few extra months. Most pilots otherwise end up wasting cycles in the winter. But there should not be such a time limit anyway.

BTW, based on previous info, I don’t think the GTN or IFD flash cards are protected in any way. The database is merely encrypted with the ID of the GPS box.

Administrator

Dear connoisseur,

Let me clarify the details of my offer.

Post #55

The GTN database subscription is tied to the System ID which is a unique identifier stored in the configuration module located in the GTN aircraft harness connector. If a downloaded database doesn’t match the system ID (which is used when initially setting up the subscription) then it won’t load. Swapping GTNs between aircraft won’t help as the ID is tied to the aircraft, not to the specific GTN unit.

You can find the system ID by going to : Home>System>System Status and it!s shown in the top box along with the unit serial number.

Wigglyamp’s explanation is absolutely right BUT just for the first GTN database update method:

The database is ordered and downloaded via https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/

In this case pilot must specify System ID of his GTN unit when ordering.

The database can be loaded into GTN unit ONLY with specified System ID.

There is also the second GTN database update method

The database is ordered via http://ww1.jeppesen.com and downloaded via Jeppesen Distribution Manager (JDM) software.

In this case pilot must specify the following information when ordering:

then select an avionics unit:

after that select coverage:

then he is going to payment page.

Pilot is not asked to enter the data about his GTN unit in second method! This is the first fact.

When pilot opens JDM software and enters his login and password he will see:

This GTN database can be loaded into SD card which will work in GTN unit with ANY System ID. This is the second fact.

I have checked it in practice.

Last Edited by at 10 Dec 20:25

GTN database download procedure is the following:

I connect to your PC via TeamViewer (remote desktop software), start JDM, then enter my username and password, after that download the database to your SD card.

You do not see my password because it’s protected by JDM.

You see all my operations on the display of your PC.

Last Edited by at 10 Dec 20:52
Sign in to add your message