Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robin 253 IFR avionics update

FWIW our KR85TSO works perfectly fine since the dinosaurs left the earth and it took us three KR87 and two antennas to get a good working set.

If I were to plan the navigation infrastructure, I’d want to keem them NDBs alive. They are the cheapest landbased backbone imaginable. The rest should be extended to GNSS/SBAS with many more approaches than currently in action.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Unless there’s a remote capable version of the KR87

I am fairly sure that SR22s have had both a remote ADF and a remote DME available as an option. No idea which boxes they are.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jesse wrote:

A non WAAS GNS can be installed with a minor change approval, so this option would IMHO make more sense. Topic starter indicated he didn’t want to do approaches, only enroute IFR, which a non WAAS can do. Wheter two is possible depends on the availability of old approvals. A second COM/NAV such as GNC-255A could do the job as well and could be installed under CS-STAN.

I was thinking about installing a GNC300XL as the second NAV/COM box. It’s been unsupported by Garmin for a number of years now, but complete units can be bought under 2500$. Does this solution make sense?
Any idea how much would EASA charge me for processing of two minor change approvals: first for GNS430 and second for GNC300XL?

Robin_253 wrote:

I was thinking about installing a GNC300XL as the second NAV/COM box. It’s been unsupported by Garmin for a number of years now, but complete units can be bought under 2500$. Does this solution make sense?

This is no legal option. You are no longer allowed to install a non 8,33 kHz VHF COM when under EASA control, unless you replacing it by exactly the same unit (till 2018). So I don’t think that would make sense.

The current EASA fee’s can be found in the charges and fees document. Used to be 290 Euro. You might also get charged by your avionics shop for designing this charge and generating the required paperwork.

When there are other approvals available, you might want to use those. You might need to pay a fee for those as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

You are no longer allowed to install a non 8,33 kHz VHF COM when under EASA control, unless you replacing it by exactly the same unit (till 2018). So I don’t think that would make sense.

The current EASA fee’s can be found in the charges and fees docume

Jesse wrote:

ou are no longer allowed to install a non 8,33 kHz

Thank you. Seems like getting two second hand GNS430 units would be the optimal solution.

But two GPSs takes you back into EASA Major mod territory, no?

Administrator

Fyi if it helps a friend had a new build DR400/180 built by Robin in 2000 the factory installation was GNS430 navcom GNS 420 gpscom and an Stec 30 autopilot a very simple but effective fit which seemed radically outlandish at the time but which has become increasingly relevant over the years.Vbr Stampe

EGMD EGTO EGKR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But two GPSs takes you back into EASA Major mod territory, no?

I would appreciate a clarification on this. In logical terms, if one GPS is a minor change, adding a second one should also be a minor change…

Robin_253 wrote:

I would appreciate a clarification on this. In logical terms, if one GPS is a minor change, adding a second one should also be a minor change…

This has nothing to do with logic. It has been discussed previously on EuroGA. I don’t recall the reasons exactly, but apparently someone at EASA were worried about common mode failures when installing dual GPSs of the same type.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Various things turn up on a search e.g. here and here

It’s all bullsh*t but EASA has recruited lots of people from EASA 21 DOAs and this is EASA people supporting the work of their old mates.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message