Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

STCs and EASA approvals.

tomjnx wrote:

How can an FAA issued STC be a problem if the airplane was on an FAA issued (rubber stamped) TC?

Ok, I should have said: “(being the TC approver)” instead of “(being the TC issuer)”…. Any state that allows an aircraft on its register needs to approve the TC before issuing an AWC…. So pre-EASA the Dutch CAA approved the FAA TC, possibly after requiring further testing….these days EASA would still approve FAA TCs albeit without further testing or certification required.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think I understand the slightly differeing view expressed so if I wish to change the country of registration (both now and expected are EASA countries) can anyone see any problems? What about the “old” FAA STCs, do you think they should be accepted without a problem? ALL the mods were done before EASA by the way.
I also think I was right in asking the question here because mostly what I have had from CAMOs and the like has been so full of quoted gobbledegook that I just gave up.
Thanks everyone.

UK, United Kingdom

tomjnx wrote:

Not for new installs, but my original point was that if the mod was done pre-EASA and the “competent” CAA approved it, it’s now grandfathered for that specific aircraft.

Yes, that is correct.

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

What about the “old” FAA STCs, do you think they should be accepted without a problem?

They should do that. Be sure you have the paperwork complete, so not only the STC or GWL but also the logentry which includes the installation of the STC or GWL on the aircraft. You could also consider if it would be worthwhile to change the registration. In most cases the advantages of this are overestimated. People tend to look only at the possitive differences, while their will also negative difference on other points.
You should make a good list of all points, and see if it would be worthwhile.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

This is interesting, that a C152 (eg.) doesn’t have a Euro TC.

But the acceptance of such a plane onto say a G-reg does not mean that once it is on G-reg you can install an FAA STC directly. That was never possible (except in Australia). The CAA of the country of reg had to issue its own approval of that STC.

The UK CAA AAN database lists many such approvals. This is all pre-2003 I think, after which EASA killed this process. However every mod in this (or other similar) database becomes automatically directly usable on any EASA-reg plane. This was for all those years the only positive thing EASA did for aviation!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

ut the acceptance of such a plane onto say a G-reg does not mean that once it is on G-reg you can install an FAA STC directly. That was never possible (except in Australia). The CAA of the country of reg had to issue its own approval of that STC.

This is not true. Pre EASA in the Netherlands for example, FAA STC’s where acceptable, as where avionics when TSO-ed.

Peter wrote:

This is interesting, that a C152 (eg.) doesn’t have a Euro TC.

This is because the aircraft is old, and the FAA TC was accepted by many national authorities. Some countries did require an own TC.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Pre-2003 NL accepted FAA STCs without any additional processing, and enables the installation of all TSOd avionics?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

NL accepted FAA STCs without any additional processing, and enables the installation of all TSOd avionics?

Yes, at THAT time. What was installed in that time period, is grantfathered under EASA.

Now, for a NEW installation, you can NOT use this old regulation. You need EASA minor change, EASA STC, previous issued approvals, approved as part of initial type design (optional equipment) etc.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

AIUI, the only mods which are grandfathered via EASA are ones which were done under national CAA approval (for example the UK CAA AAN database, or some mod developed by an avionics shop and approved by their national CAA).

So if in 2002 someone installed something into a PH-reg which was covered by a US STC and didn’t do any paperwork for it (other than a logbook entry) that doesn’t count.

Similarly if someone installed some TSOd instrument and didn’t do any paperwork for it (other than maybe a logbook entry) that also doesn’t count.

As the above correct?

I think it has to be somehow correct because the only mods which can be grandfathered (and thus be usable towards other aircraft) are ones which are supported by contemporary evidence of the installation.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So if in 2002 someone installed something into a PH-reg which was covered by a US STC and didn’t do any paperwork for it (other than a logbook entry) that doesn’t count.

Similarly if someone installed some TSOd instrument and didn’t do any paperwork for it (other than maybe a logbook entry) that also doesn’t count.

That does count for that specific aircraft. The logbooks and logentries are proof of this, as well as airworthiness inspections (as these would check modifications).
You can not use this as grandfather right to do NEW modifications or on other aircraft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message