Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra thick 'super quiet PA28 screens

We are replacing our Arrow IV screens as getting old.
Understand the standard ones are 1/8” thick.
Told there are extra thick ‘super quite’ ones available at ¼” thick.
They are not that much more money and told a direct replacement.
Any views, pros & cons ?

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 25 Feb 18:42
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

You may well find that the screen retaining strips are fitted to only allow the thinner screens to be installed.

Get your engineers to check before you buy…

Any significant W&B implications?

Egnm, United Kingdom

This topic comes up from time to time on the TB series, for which some firm in Germany makes thicker winscreens – details here

I have never seen any cockpit noise measurements, and any feedback I have seen was along the lines of “couldn’t tell any difference”. I would think there is a difference, but whether you can tell if using half decent headsets anyway…

W&B is not significant (you do have to make a new W&B entry, etc) because the stuff weighs very little.

Fitting these is not trivial because they come oversized and need to be trimmed to fit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aerofurb wrote:

You may well find that the screen retaining strips are fitted to only allow the thinner screens to be installed.

Get your engineers to check before you buy…

Good tip, have seen this multiple times in the past, where all these strips needed to be modified to make it possible to install.

Peter wrote:

I have never seen any cockpit noise measurements, and any feedback

I strongly doubt you can notice it. On these isolation is often very old / poor anyway.

Peter wrote:

Fitting these is not trivial because they come oversized and need to be trimmed to fit.

You might find it not trivial, but it will take a lot of time to trim these new windows to the correct size, and such that they fit nicely. Often you also have to drill some holes (not sure on these, these might be only be retainer clips) which can crack the material easy. You might have to drill the hole for the OAT.

I never seen (other then glass windows) which are real direct replacements as in, remove screw, get old window out, install new window, put screws in.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

WarleyAir wrote:

Any views, pros & cons ?

EASA reg , FAA or ?

The heavier windshields are installed with an STC or Field Aproval when going in FAA certified aircraft.

Last Edited by Michael at 26 Feb 07:14
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

OK, no advantage, if any, in noise reduction – we suspected that.
What about safety when you get hit by that Canada Goose !?
Do ALL replacements screens (including standard thickness) have to be trimmed & drilled, or is this operation only required for the ‘extra thick’.
My experience of drilling and cutting (say Perspex) is a nightmare.
If you over do your cutting speed on plastic you get ‘melt’ not ‘cut’ !

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 26 Feb 14:45

W&B
So you weigh / moment old screens coming out and new ones going in and make a ‘difference’ adjustment on the W&B Sheet, yes ?

WarleyAir wrote:

W&B
So you weigh / moment old screens coming out and new ones going in and make a ‘difference’ adjustment on the W&B Sheet, yes ?

Yes, of course, but see my comment about STC – that needs to be dealt with as well !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

WarleyAir wrote:

Do ALL replacements screens (including standard thickness) have to be trimmed & drilled, or is this operation only required for the ‘extra thick’.

All plastic ones I have seen, had to be trimmed, drilling differs from aircraft type. Sometimes only the OAT, sometimes all the mounting screws as well.
It’s not the easiest DIY job. You will also need to trim such that the curves fit nicely.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message