Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA retrofit avionics - too many functions on one screen?

I know people take the p1ss out of my 320×240 1990s MFD but here I have a nice separation of the two basic flying functions. I can play with the bottom box and it doesn’t mess up the map view while I am doing that

I can flip screens on the bottom box to show the bit of the route, and again it doesn’t mess up the map display

But on the GNS GTN and IFD products, everything is on one screen. Including the radio!

Obviously it also means that if you lose the screen you lose the radio (except possibly for 121.50).

It gets even more ridiculous with the GTN750 and the GMA35 remotely controlled intercom (“audio panel”) where even more of the screen area is eaten up, and if you lose the GTN750 you lose the intercom too.

Is there some rationale for the market acceptance of this (to me obvious) lack of usability? Or do customers’ eyes just glaze over at the sight of the nice displays? Have the manufacturers done it because each one wants to capture as much of the market as possible so combining a GPS+MFD+COM+NAV is the best way to grab it? The only thing they have not thrown in is a DME… but that’s only because Americans wouldn’t pay for it.

In the meantime, bizjets and airliners retain the FMS+MFD separation through the decades – for a good reason I am sure (usability!).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A GNS430/W, IFD440 or GTN650 is – most times – used in combination with a large MFD that shows the MAP, Traffic, Stormscope, Weather and some other stuff like engine data etc., depending on your setup and Hardware. Also a typical IFR setup with GNS, GTNs oder IFDs has two Navcoms running from two different busses.

That may be in older planes which have been retrofitted in stages over years, but today the MFD business is dead and buried as far as R&D goes and it’s only a matter of time before the existing boxes (e.g. the EX5000) are dropped in support and servicing. I recall trying to find out from Avidyne some detailed stuff about integration (in the OBS mode for example) and nobody I could find had a clue and nobody was interested.

Administrator

I am not sure what your question is Peter. Gxxx syastems have plenty of screen real estate and you change NAV/COMs on the PFD. There are LRU boxes that control the underlying functions and reversiolnary modes so if you lose a screen you can run all on the other. There is not a lack of usability.

Last Edited by JasonC at 12 Nov 22:51
EGTK Oxford

OK; I changed the subject to add the word “retrofit”.

Administrator

I don’t see how you can compare your two Bendix King devices to a single GTN 750? A GTN 750 plus a 650 would be more comparable. Then you have one box you can mess around on, without affecting the other, like you do now.

And the GTN 750 intercom saves more panel space so you might even fit two 750s. Or just keep a conventional intercom if you prefer, a remote intercom is optional.

The fallback on the GMA35 (GTN750 remote intercom) is to COM2/NAV2, so if you loose it you can still change frequencies on your second box, whatever that is.

EGTF, LFTF

Well, I considered this a useful feature when dealing with little space and wanting a MFD. Separate intercom, comm, transponder (yes, GTN750 can control a blind transponder as well) and nav (“stackable”) boxes take up a lot of panel space. Yes, if I lose that one box I lose (at least control of) everything. Normally, you would just install two units. And even that (big+small) would probably take less space than doing it the old fashioned way. There is a middle route utilizing those small units designed to be mounted in instrument holes, not stacks.

If you want a separate MFD, that can be done.

Peter wrote:

That may be in older planes which have been retrofitted in stages over years

It was the step before integrated suites. And your statement is true just because there were few new light certified designs. Cirrus had, I think, that large MFD from the beginning. Now when integrated suites suitable for light aeroplanes (like G1000) are available manufacturers go for them. But those still have MFDs (they are just not meant to be used with any old box).

I flew the GTN650 (single) extensively last week.

I was annoyed
- to have to toggle between NAV and COM radios to set and verify
- to have to toggle between map view and primary nav view to see all nav parameters and to switch from GPS mode to VLOC mode during approaches
… And to pass through the HOME screen constantly when toggling.

Probably i was still too inexperienced on that unit.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message