Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tools and resources for maintenance of wood / fabric airplane

In case somebody’s interested, I found the following wartime publications by the US “Army-Navy-Civil Committee”:

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Went to LAA woodworking workshop today. It was very instructive and hands-on, and covers exactly what I wanted to know, such as tools, materials, and techniques. My impression is that (basic) aircraft woodworking is definitely doable even for people with no practical experience, and perhaps even with two left hands.

I highly recommend it! Thanks again for the tip, @Mark_1. Now I just wish I could convert my hangar share into a workshop. ;-)

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Awesome! You guys inspired me to visit the next one in April (if they let me as non-LAA member).

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

I agree with Mark1. I attended a wooden aircraft repair course and in just one day I learnt so much as to be confident enough to make skin repairs to my wooden aircraft. See if there’s such a course near you and go and do it. You’ll learn much more than reading a book and a little more than watching a DVD.

Forever learning
EGTB

Oratex would only be applicable if you were doing a complete re-cover. Repairs would normally be the same system materials as the underlying.
There are pros and cons to Oratex. It requires no sealing, painting etc, but is relatively expensive and the finish is not to everyone’s taste.

There are woodwork courses available in the UK; maybe the RSA does something similar if the UK ones aren’t practicable. It isn’t really carpentry in the sense of a furniture maker. Joints are all glue bonded and there isn’t much more difficult than learning how to make a 15:1 scarf joint in 2mm GL1 plywood, such as if you were trying to repair a dinged leading edge skin on a Jodel wing (that may be even thinner than 2mm).

The engines are the same as any old Cessna or Piper and any aircraft mechanic can show you the basics for the annual inspection etc – changing the oil, cleaning the plugs, compression checks, mag timing etc.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I would encourage you to have a look at Oratex, a modern, EASA certified material for covering (not only) wood and fabric aircraft. Oratex is very easy to apply and covered by a 10 year factory warranty.

Maybe a crazy idea, but would a book on basic carpentry or boat building be of use for practical woodworking skills?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Stewart Systems do a series of YouTube videos (or buy on DVD) that go through the complete re-covering of a ragwing Piper. Advice about not over-tautening the fabric and damaging the structure applies even more to wooden than metal underlying structure.

PolyFiber also have some videos and they both sell practice kits where you can cover a frame, do a repair, insert an inspection hatch etc.

Of course your repairs have to be the same system as the original, but the basic principles are the same for all.

You can download AC43.13 which is well recognised as a reference for acceptable repair methods and deals with nearly all types of construction.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I’ll see on the first 50/100 hour check what I’ll need except for basics such as wrenches etc. I hope to do maintenance mostly myself with some supervision by the previous owner and other experienced people closeby.

I deliberately wanted a simple sturdy wooden aircraft to be able to repair stuff at relatively low cost and effort. I am also aware of clubs in France that fly their planes essentially until forever, with some new fabric and replacements of a few wooden parts every 10 years or so.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Amen to that, A&C!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message