Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Opinions about Fix a Flat

10 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Flat-S50073-Ultimate-1-Step-Repair/dp/B00PRJI9O8

Thinking of carrying this around to fix a flat in remote area on longer trip. It’s cheap enough. Opinions?

United States

Tried to use it on a flat tailwheel on a Cessna 170 once. Didn’t work, we ended up going to a tyre repair place where they patched the inner tube. That didn’t work either! (tailwheel went flat within a minute of the weight going on the tail. However, it was more to do with the inner tube than the repair attempt).

Last Edited by alioth at 12 Jul 07:50
Andreas IOM

It will work in many cases.
If you have very locally damaged the tire (actually: tube) with a small cut, screw/nail etc.
Won’t work if you have a larger damage to the tube.

Dont forget to remove nail, screw etc before applying sealant & air
;-)

EDM_, Germany

These kits work on tubeless car tires – where the pressure is held in by the tire itself, and the wall is thick, so a puncture can be easily “plugged” by having some gunk in the hole as long as it isn’t in the sidewall. This does not work with tubed tires – carry a spare tube instead.

Biggin Hill

Depends on your mission profile. And on your load carrying reserves.
Over a long time, say 5 or 10 years, what will be the cost? Not much, agreed. But the profit stands a fair chance of being zero.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

These kits work on tubeless car tires – where the pressure is held in by the tire itself, and the wall is thick, so a puncture can be easily “plugged” by having some gunk in the hole as long as it isn’t in the sidewall. This does not work with tubed tires – carry a spare tube instead.
bq. Quote

Maybe its like the bumble bees flying.
My bike didn’t know that the kit won’t work.
so it did :-)

Carrying a spare tube is better, no doubt, but then you also need the tools (and skills) to mount it.
The kit brings all incl the pressure.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 12 Jul 16:03
EDM_, Germany

I suspect it won’t work because it needs a sealed wheel – like all tubeless wheels are. However the typical light GA wheel, made by AFAIK Cleveland, is a split design, which without an inner tube would leak like hell.

Something like this:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure I understand the relevance of the otherwise interesting technical drawing.
You are not sealing the wheel….
but pump self-curing sealant into the inner tube, followed by some gas (mostly air) to inflate it again.

Will not work (properly) if the tire has shifted or there is a major damage to the tube (as mentioned below)

Why wouldn’t it work ?

EDM_, Germany

If the stuff you pump in goes off into some kind of jelly then it should work.

The usual versions of this device, around for many years for cars, pumped in a liquid which expanded (via gas generation) and that stuff would leak out between the two halves of the wheel, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no chance that I would attempt to fix a leaky tube by any other method than replacement. On many aircraft if the tire deflates slowly while airborne you are very likely to have an accident when landing. Having nearly learned that the hard way I won’t add pressure to a tire and then fly the plane immediately, even with a good tube (tire valves sometimes don’t seal perfectly after use)

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message