Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Certified ADS-B IN and OUT options (also collision avoidance, privacy, etc)

I would consider implementing ADS-B Out, possibly IN as well, if it weren’t so damned expensive. Have a GTX 330-ES fitted but no WAAS GPS Source – both 430s are non WAAS units. But the ‘cheapest’ – if you can use that word in aviation – solution would be nigh on 5k just for a stand alone source……

EDL*, Germany

I was looking at GTN650 & GTX33es by an alternative means of compliance based on the compliance matrix in the garmin install manual.

I would also be interested in GTN 650 & trig transponder.

Wigglyamp, almost..it’s actually on the m reg, so amounts to same thing.

Trig and gtn650 work very well imho. You need the latest software update in the trig( free from trig, very helpful, info about stc on website) and the stc kit( approx £100)

Last Edited by PeteD at 29 Oct 15:16
EGNS, Other

wigglyamp wrote:

If there were STCs in place for GA aircraft covering the various transponder/GPS combinations providing mandate-compliant ADS-B OUT (C166b transponder and WAAS GPS), how many operators would voluntarily equip as there’s no direct in-cockpit benefit?

As you know, I had the GTX345 installed this summer and I’m waiting for the STC to allow ADS-B out to be enabled.

I certainly see lots of aircraft now with ADS-B in!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I’m about to connect my Power Flarm core to emit non WAAS ADSB-out . It’s one serial data connection and a bit of configuration on the Trig to give it the non WAAS flag.

When I’m finally forced down the Garmin Nav Comm route I will 100% get it connected to emit WAAS ADSB-out. I think it is such a powerful tool for “TCAS” and I think it would have been far better for EASA to follow the US and make ADSB out a requirement rather than all of that 8.33 nonsense which could have been avoided, at least for G.A.

For the same money we could have fully functioning “TCAS” ………….I use the word loosely………..across the whole GA fleet for anybody who wanted to spend an extra £2,000 for a display. Now EASA have people messing about looking inside the cabin at a fancy radio which takes three times as long to dial in the frequency! I wonder how much extra time is now spent looking inside rather than outside?

I also see lots of Aircraft with ADS-B in on my dedicated display …….and even more important, most gliders pop up on the display.

United Kingdom

I´ve got ADSB-Out since I got my TT31. Made no sense not to and makes me visible properly on all those Power Flarm devices. The extra cost is not very much, one wire from the GNS430W to the Trigg does the job.

I also considered it to be adequate to stay ahead of the game for once. Pretty sure that one not too far away day regulators will mandate ADS-B for everyone.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 30 Oct 09:51
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I spoke to Trig at EDNY and their view was it will never be mandatory for VFR.

Same with transponders currently.

Also loads of people fly non txp for personal reasons and ADS-B will suddenly make them very visible.

IFR, maybe.

But am I right in that a GTX330 firmware upgrade plus a W GPS will give you ADS-B OUT and if so, how much?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But am I right in that a GTX330 firmware upgrade plus a W GPS will give you ADS-B OUT and if so, how much?

The 330 to 330ES or 33 to 33ES runs at about $1200 per transponder.

EGTK Oxford

Archer-181 wrote:

a fancy radio which takes three times as long to dial in the frequency!

FOUR times! The 25 kHz channels are stilll selectable.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Although upgrading a Garmin GTX330 to an ES, or equipping with a Trig transponder etc, AND having a compatible GNS-W or GTN will give you mandate-compliant ADS-B OUT, EASA (and also FAA) require aircraft certification by an STC to ensure the data output meets the position and reliability accuracy for the data to be used by ATC for separation purposes.

With a non-WAAS GPS sending a SIL-0, air traffic control and TSO-approved ADS-B IN devices (such as Garmin’s new GTX345) will ignore the transmission, so the benefit of a non-certified installation is limited except to devices such as PilotAware or Flarm with can see all transmissions regardless of the SIL setting.

My reason for starting the thread was to see what the feeling was for an approved installation. It has limited benefits (no impact on access to controlled airspace for most GA aircraft) and is significantly more expensive than a non-compliant system. It’s clear from some posts that there are systems wired-up and operating with compliant equipment but which have disregarded the certification rules. It’s therefore difficult to judge whether there’s any financial driver for anyone (equipment manufacturer, EASA 21J, ANSP etc) to fund an STC to try and aid take-up.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 30 Oct 15:56
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message