Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skopje Piston Aircraft Maintenance

During run up prior to departure at Skopje Alexander the Great, I had a 250 RPM drop on right mag so returned to ramp. Neither running at high RPM heavily leaned, nor cleaning the spark plugs helped, so I felt stuck. The international airport has no piston maintenance facilities. Fortunately, I tracked down the Skopje Aeroclub (founded 1923) based at a grass field nearby (not on Skydemon):

http://www.aeroclub.mk/index.php/en/sales

Next morning, the club head picked me up at the hotel, then we got a couple of his guys who figured out one of eight cables cable leading from from plugs to magneto was defective. The replaced it and sanded my plugs to a shine. The cost was minimal, almost embarrassing.

To my astonishment, the plane has picked up 10 knots in cruise, now true at 120 knots 2400 42 LH. For a Rallye, that is fast.

The have an FAA A&P and maintain Cessnas, Pipers and even a 220HP Franklin engine Rallye. It is not always easy to find maintenance when you’re on the road. Given Skopje’s popularity as a fuel stop, someone might find the contact handy. They may be worth traveling to for work is you’re Balkan based.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 16 Nov 18:27
Tököl LHTL

Thanks WP. While there is this tendency to think that certain areas of Europe are ahead, it is so nice to see from your example that there is so much devotion and expertise in countries like Macedonia. I’ve involved myself in a software company that requires quite specific expertise, and guess what.. We found brilliant and devoted young people behind the former iron curtain, lately 3 great guys from Skopje! And their English is just fine. I guess there is hope for the ‘old continent’ after all

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message