Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Arrogant Bose (broken plastic parts, and how to get them repaired)

AdamFrisch wrote:

You guys should try the AKG AV100 ANR headsets. They’re really light and I think they’re excellent. Probably easier to service in Europe as well.

I tried one and hated it. Returned it after a week.

EGTK Oxford

Those bits should be diecast in metal. I have been designing with engineering plastics for 30 years and there simply isn’t one which is strong in thin sections. Of course it depends on what you mean by strong but a headset which gets a bit of abuse needs to be much stronger than is needed for the basic function.

Incidentally same with magnesium. A fashionable but useless material where strength is needed, unless you have the opportunity to throw in a lot of it.

This is why there are two kinds of Dyson vacuum cleaners: ones which are broken but still usable, and ones which are broken totally. And all of them need the A20 headset to prevent hearing damage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is why there are two kinds of Dyson vacuum cleaners: ones which are broken but still usable, and ones which are broken totally. And all of them need the A20 headset to prevent hearing damage.

How do you know about vacuuming, I have heard about it, but what is it? :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

There is a Dyson in my house but I have never read the instruction manual. Men are hunters and foragers, not nest builders.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

There is a Dyson in my house. I do know what it does, because I use it to suck dust out of my computer and cinema projector, but I have also seen people trying to suck the floor with it, which seems perverse.

I do have responsibility for keeping it maintained, though, and I agree with Peter that some of its plastic bits are just daft.

EGKB Biggin Hill

:)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I wouldn’t touch Bose headsets for the simple reason that they are a rip-off price wise, and from this thread I see they are not a company interested in proper customer support. The most expensive noise-cancelling, super de-luxe headset Bose do for home stereo use costs a very steep £330. OK it doesn’t have a microphone but does that cost the extra £580 they charge for their aviation headset? Another company who think they can charge a fortune because aircraft owners can afford it and are used to paying through their teeth? Anyway my 10 year old DC’s work well, don’t need careful handling and look aeronautical.

Those who like a rugged DC and want first class ANR should contact Richard Holder richard at anrman dot co dot uk.

I have no business interest in him, but he has built me nine headsets over the years and I am a very happy customer.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I bought the kit from Richard as well: I can’t compare them to any other ANR headsets, but they’re certainly a big step up from the non-ANR versions.

Of course if you want a DC headset with ANR, you can buy DC headsets that come with ANR.

I’ve a DC H20-10XL ANR headset for 15 years now and are very happy with it. It still looks as new as the day I got it, and has been faultless. The only thing I’ve had to do with it was replace the mike sock!

It’s all the ruggedness of a DC, but less clamping force than DC headset traditionally have.

If you have a non-ANR headset and want to convert it, then perhaps using RH makes sense, but not if buying new.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message